Home made silhouette targets

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Home made silhouette targets

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:44 pm

Here is a little innovative way to recycle those pesky brown paper grocery bags.

Step 1 - Lay a gorcery bag out, smooth it flat, and then cut the bag into equal halves along the red line.

Step 2 - Take one half of the bag and cut along the edges (along the red lines.) Repeat for the other half a bag.

Step 3 - Open the new silhouette target and smooth it out. Each bag makes two silhouette targets.

Note - To make the targets more challenging cut out lunch sized brown paper bags in the same manner and you have reduced sized silhouette targets.

Have fun recycling!

R,
Bullseye
Last edited by Bullseye on Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Neat

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:26 am

As acting president of the Frugal Shooters of America (aka cheapskates) I salute you. :lol:

DWS

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Re: Neat

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:03 am

DancesWithSquirrels wrote:As acting president of the Frugal Shooters of America (aka cheapskates) I salute you. :lol:

DWS
I hear you brother! I don't spend good money if I don't have to. ;)

And I'll also add that a standard sized grocery bag makes two almost exact sized copies of a standard silhouette 'A' zone target. IDPA guys - plenty of shoot, no-shoot practice targets; keep your paper plates at home!

R,
Bullseye

Morrisey

Post by Morrisey » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:54 pm

Now all I have to do is keep a straight face as I tell my wife, "Yes, Honey. I took all those old grocery bags to the recycling center."

Tom

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:21 pm

I would use semantics to my advantage. Instead of the recycling center, I'd just say, "I recycled them."

R,
Bullseye

Ripsaw
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Ripsaw » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:01 am

I would use semantics to my advantage. Instead of the recycling center, I'd just say, "I recycled them."

R,
Bullseye
Excellent Idea!!

I especially like the 'Recycled' idea

Ripsaw

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:21 am

Well, now I sure know what my answer is going to be to that age-old question, "Paper or Plastic?"
Kudos, Bullseye!

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:19 pm

Bullseye is a genius!

I grab an extra handful of paper bags from the grocery store every time I think of it, now, that and the CMP's nice targets are all I need unless I feel like shoot & see style ones, so this is saving me some money I can sink into ammunition and tools.

A note, the direction Bullseye shows is about one quarter the effort the other direction needs, makes a better target, and can be done with a good pocketknife on a range table or random piece of lumber in ~5 seconds. Going the other way is a losing plan, unless you're trying to open the bag up for maximum size (sighting in a newly-installed scope or a new shooter's first range trip, for example).