front sight height.......

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

front sight height.......

Post by cousin jack » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:22 am

Dumb question: should the rear sight notch height match up with the front sight height? I dropped my beloved carry Combat Commander and screwed up the rear sight..... I put another one from my parts box on, but....as you probably can't see from the photograph..... the front sight is now about 2-3 millimeters lower than the rear sight notch. Should they be equal? I haven't been able to get to the range yet, so I don't know how it now shoots, but I think it will print high....... If they should be equal, how do I fix it? File down the rear notch or build up the front?

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:05 pm

Normally not. None of mine are the same level. The reason why is that the barrel is on a ~1° angle, not level.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:55 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Normally not. None of mine are the same level. The reason why is that the barrel is on a ~1° angle, not level.
Didn't know that..... thank you sir......
"Speed is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:38 pm

If you still have the old broken sight blade measure its height with a caliper. You can transfer its height to the new front blade. The new blade can be carefully filed to the same height as the old one thereby preserving the same aiming point, as long as the new one started out taller than the old one.

R,
Bullseye