De-leading .357 Cylinder

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

De-leading .357 Cylinder

Post by jaeger45 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:36 am

I'm really a pistolman.
However, there are times when I have to shoot my .357 S&W using .38 Spl loads. Today is one of dem days, and I am faced now with the hated task of deleading the cylinder before I can load it with .357 rounds.
Any advice on how I can do it faster besides using fine steel wool?
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:31 pm

I've used a bore brush generously dipped in solvent attached to a cordless drill. I use an old short cleaning rod and chuck it up into a keyless chuck drill head - works pretty well and saves on elbow grease.

R,
Bullseye

rugerguy

Post by rugerguy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:14 pm

Add to that , you can take a small piece of any of the 'Lead Away' clothes (yellowish chemically treated) and wrap that on/into the brush and this will help to "loosen" any lead.............
dan

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:09 pm

The Lewis Lead Remover line that Brownells offers is a product that falls into the clean lead away category.

The brass mesh patches do a great job pulling out the lead and can be reused virtually forever. Lewis Lead Remover Specs

R,
Bullseye

SweetHomeAlabama

Post by SweetHomeAlabama » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:36 pm

When I first started reloading my own bullets I had a real problem with lead fowling in all my handguns. It seemed especially bad in the larger bore .45 ACP and .45 Colt. I tried what seemed like every imaginable cleaning solution on the market and nothing really worked.

Then one day while I was killing some extra time at my local gun shop I ran across this plain looking little white jar of stuff on his back shelf. It was called J-B non-embedding bore cleaning compound and claimed it would remove “lead, metal, and plastic fouling from rifles, pistols and shotguns” and would not injure “even the finest bore.” I thought, what the heck I’ll give it a try. I started with my 1911.

I confess, the first time I used J-B it was some work, the fowling had gotten so bad I didn't think anything was going to clean my bore. I rubbed and rubbed for what seemed like an hour. The only thing that kept me going was every time I’d look at the bore with a bore light it was noticeably cleaner and shiner. Eventually I was satisfied that I had removed all the lead and the bore looked like a polished mirror.

I said all that to say this, what impressed me the most about this stuff is once I had polished my bore to a mirror finish the first time I didn’t have to work nearly so hard to get the same results the next time, and the time after that it was even easier.

Now the bore on my weapons are so smooth and slick it seems like lead hardly even sticks to `em and after a day at the range bore cleaning is… well still not the most fun part about shooting but it’s at least tolerable.