fore end wrench

The place to discuss all aspects of shotgun shooting.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

fore end wrench

Post by radio » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:33 am

I hate to buy a tool that I may only use a couple of times in a lifetime, but I need to reassemble my Rem 870 20 gauge. Also I would like to (soon) replace the original stock and fore end on my Rem 12 gauge 870 with an aftermarket product.

Can somebody help with a tool or tip that would help me with one or both of these guns without buying the 2 fore end wrenches?

Thanks

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:57 am

had right shoulder surgery yesterday so type like %^&%.

pick up a deep well socket or pipe that will fit over the tube and cut notches into it to fit the indentations in the lock nut. not much $$ invested and would work for a minimal use tool.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:31 pm

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=723227
the price isn't bad, but here is also a pic. to follow if you decide to make one. It looks like some EMT tubing, filed to profile would work OK

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:25 pm

I just use a big pair of needlenose opened to fit the gap.

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:19 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:I just use a big pair of needlenose opened to fit the gap.
None of the needlenose that I tried would work--seems like a larger pair would need to be bent back inward, but I have heard a few people say they use them.

The emt pipe might just work. The socket may be hard to "shape" with the tools that I own.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:37 pm

with EMT tubing (right size) a bench grinder will do most of the work. and a file will dress it up.
When looking at the 'Midway" pic, imagine it without a handle. When you have the tube shaped right, back up the pipe about an inch (clearance for the nut) and drill a hole through both walls for a screwdrive to fit through. You could drill 2 holes at 90 degrees opposed (X shape) and have more adjustment that way. Think lawn mower/chain saw type spark plug wrench.

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:51 pm

Medicine Hat wrote:with EMT tubing (right size) a bench grinder will do most of the work. and a file will dress it up.
When looking at the 'Midway" pic, imagine it without a handle. When you have the tube shaped right, back up the pipe about an inch (clearance for the nut) and drill a hole through both walls for a screwdrive to fit through. You could drill 2 holes at 90 degrees opposed (X shape) and have more adjustment that way. Think lawn mower/chain saw type spark plug wrench.

thanks--I bet I can make that