Slugs and shotguns.

The place to discuss all aspects of shotgun shooting.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

J57ltr

Slugs and shotguns.

Post by J57ltr » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:26 pm

A friend called me today to ask if it was OK to shoot rifles slugs in a smoothbore shotgun. I told him that I didn't see a problem with it, and if there was I am sure in the lawyer infested world we live in now that it would be plastered all over the box the shells were in so that you wouldn't tell what gauge shotgun they were for. He said another person that he spoke with said that it would blow the gun up. I thought it sounded a little far fetched, but I would ask.

So what are the caveats on shotguns and slugs if there is any?

Thanks

Jeff

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:49 pm

Almost all commercial slugged shotgun ammo is rifled. Many states - like Ohio - require slugs in shotguns for hunting game like deer. This ammo is designed for use in smooth bore shotgun barrels and the slug itself is rifled for accuracy. About the only chance of blowing up a barrel is if they are used in "full" choked barrel. Most brands specify use only in a modified choke or less barrel.

R,
Bullseye

J57ltr

Post by J57ltr » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:58 pm

Thanks for the info. I didn't know any states required that you use slugs. I thought buckshot or slugs were fine.

I know I have seen rifled barrels specifically for slugs. I haven’t used a shotgun in nearly 15 years now so I am a little out of the loop.

Thanks

Jeff