SHOTSHELL RELOADER

The place to discuss all aspects of shotgun shooting.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

SHOTSHELL RELOADER

Post by jaeger45 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:56 pm

SHOTSHELL RELOADER

I want to start reloading 12-ga shotshells.

I've been reloading for 10 years now- mainly .45 ACP's and two rifle calibers.

With the cost of gas and since hunting is far and few in-between anyway, I guess trap shooting is the next best thing to do to get some wingshooting done.

I'll get an MEC 600 Jr. Mark 5 Single Stage Reloader, 12 Gauge for $134.00.

May I have advice on what reloading accessories and components to get? I have no idea about shotshell reloading yet. Thanks.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

gunsmither

Shotshell reloading is fun!

Post by gunsmither » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:59 pm

A good Shotshell reloading manual is good to have. The Lyman book is tops. It will give you all kinds of recipes; perhaps overkill though for a beginner. You can just use whatever is recommended by Mec, as to what powder to use with the bar that comes with the machine.

You can also obtain various powder manufacturers data booklets for loading info. Follow the data precisely for safety sake. A powder scale wouldn't hurt to have to check powder drop weight.

I like Clays powder for 12 ga. trap loads with 1oz., or 1-1/8 oz. loads. It's a nice clean powder. I think I use about 16 -17 grains with 1oz of shot; not sure. I like nice light loads that are easy on the shoulder for trap.

I like the Green Remington STS hulls the best, and I use Winchester AA wads, or a Windjammer AA replacement wads I think it is. Just make sure your components are compatible, hence the reloading manual is a good idea.

Stick with one brand of primers once you establish a load you like, as supposedly switching primers is a bad idea.

Get a "Stacker" that holds 25 loaded rounds to fit back in a shell box.

Follow the directions from MEC, and you should be cranking out shells in no time at all. The 600JR. is a very easy to use machine.

Mount the machine over a shallow metal baking pan to catch the inevitable ''Oh S__t" when you goof and spill powder or shot, or both!

Best of luck! Joe

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:46 pm

Well of all of the ammo shortages, shotgun bird loads was not one of them. And in most cases the 209 primers have been everywhere I have looked.

I've been using a Mec 600 Jr for 30+ years. I have only used mfg reload data put out by powder mfg. If your not going to use a fixed volume shot bar or bushing, they make a fully adjustable bar now, powder and shot. This is a better setup since you do not have to have all of the bushing for different powders. Since you already have a set of scales it makes more sense.

The funny things with shotgun shells is the load height (powder/wad/shot) needs to be constant and right to get a good crimp. This is where the adj bar may be very nice. I like the 8 segment hulls the most, get the most loads out of them. I have some AA Super Xpress that have close to 20 reloads and is just starting to have some split out.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:19 am

Jaeger, good to hear from you again, it has bee a while.
MEC loaders work very well, I have 4 9000G's that I have used for many years and loaded many K's of shot shells with no real problems. My preference in powder is Alliant Green Dot it is a very versatile powder that can be used for 12, 16, 20 and 28 gage, I also use it for my .45ACP and .38Special reloads. That only requires me to have one other powder for the .410 and I stall use the old stand by for that, Winchester 296.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:58 am

This is an old thread. A few days ago I received a personal message a him that he is currently out of the country celebrating his 45th wedding anniversary with his family back home. I'm sure that he will appreciate this advice when he returns. I am unsure how much time he has to frequent the board while away.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:01 am

Bullseye wrote:This is an old thread. A few days ago I received a personal message a him that he is currently out of the country celebrating his 45th wedding anniversary with his family back home. I'm sure that he will appreciate this advice when he returns. I am unsure how much time he has to frequent the board while away.

R,
Bullseye
Boy that shows you how observant I am that post was dated a year ago in 2008
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:57 pm

I was responding to a new post. Did not realize that the thread was that old. I will be using my Mec Jr this summer.... Using up some old WW powder from the early 80's.... If I recalled I use to WW454 for 12 ga, 540 for 20ga, I would have to look on my shelf to see whats there. I did notice I have a pound of Herco from Gibson, paid $1.57 for it. My guess is that we will never see those prices any more. Look likes Winchester is using WSF on every thing except except 410 which is 296. The 296 is what I use for my 357Mag for mag loads.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911