Starting of leagues

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Do you drink coffee before a match?

Yes I do
45%
No I don't
36%
Yes but I only drink only a little bit of it (a controlled amount)
9%
Yes I but I carefully manage my consumption within a specific time period beforehand
9%

Total votes: 11

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Starting of leagues

Post by mark II » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi All,
In a month or so a couple of leagues will be starting up. These are gallary type, indoor, 50ft with 22's. Started practicing and shot a 252. This is with a new to me gun. Anyway I thought I would start a poll. I know I shouldn't but can't and don't want to kick the habit.
mark II

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:13 pm

Hi Bullseye,
I add a poll question with my last post but not sure where it went. My poll question was, Do you drink coffee before a match?
Thanks,
mark II

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:21 am

In order to do a poll, you have to offer options for folks to choose from in your survey. This information is not all that clear in my free software. Each time you enter an option it gets finalized by hitting the <return> key and then another option line will appear below it for entering multiple option survey choices. I entered in some for you. If these don't meet with what you want to have in your survey you can go in and edit them in your original posting. I recommend you go into the posting anyway just to see the multiple lines I added for the poll choices.

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:29 am

I am a regular coffee drinker. Before any big matches I wean myself off of coffee (caffeine); this takes a few weeks to accomplish. During regular matches I just have a single small cup that day to prevent the shakes from caffeine withdrawal. One has to be vigilant in caffeine usage, there are many products on the market that contain it, not just coffee. Even decaffeinated coffee has small amount if caffeine in it, the levels are just lower than that of a normal cup of coffee. Typically, caffeine is process through your system rather quickly after about 12 hours it's effects wear off.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:03 pm

The only caffeinated beverage that I enjoy is coffee. But ever since starting shooting sports, I rarely drink it (about once a week). On the rare occasion I do drink coffee, it is when I know I wont be at the range for at least a day.

As Bullseye said, there are many things other than coffee that contain caffeine. Many medications and solid foods contain caffeine. So it is very difficult to completely avoid it.

I thought about trying to cut out as much caffeine from my diet as possible, but I researched the effects of caffeine, and there are healthy benefits to it, so I decided against it.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:35 pm

I don't shoot matches, but I do shoot a lot and have a job that requires steady hands sometimes.

I also work rotating shifts, so I know a lot about using caffiene and the effects it can have on someone accustomed to a regular intake of it. (yes, USING, caffiene is a medication and does have addictive aspects)

Caffiene consumption will cause a tremble in your hands, for me the tremble wears off before the alertness does. Use a laser pointer and a distant target to see the tremble in action and even measure it in a qualitative way. If I'm planning on shooting I try to not use caffiene for a few hours before range time, and light use before that. My targets show it, too ... I've hit the range a few times with a full dose of coffee in me plus a caffinated soft drink and painkiller on the way there, it makes for an interesting pattern of holes.

I seem to have written a lot to get to my point of saying, you missed an option in the poll, which is to manage caffiene timing in addition to quantity.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:12 pm

BFD wrote:I seem to have written a lot to get to my point of saying, you missed an option in the poll, which is to manage caffiene timing in addition to quantity.
Added the additional poll option as per request.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

I LOVE COFFEE

Post by stork » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:53 pm

I LOVE COFFEE
7 years ago I was actively pursuing my distinguished pistol badge and gave up all caffeine. I practiced 22, 4-6 times per week as well as air pistol 3-4 times per week. My scores were in the low to mid 290's for a National Match Course. Air pistol ran the gamut from 550-565. I REALLY DO LOVE COFFEE

Then I made it in 2003. YIP YIP YAHOO. Went back to drinking way too much coffee (5-15 cups a day) and shooting 1-2x per week with 22 and air pistol virtually eliminated (1x per year at sectionals)(DID I MENTION I LOVE COFFEE). My air scores barely break 500 now and NMC's are usually in the low to mid 280's. (DID I MENTION I LOVE COFFEE)

Does it frustrate me at times, absolutely. Does it frustrate me enough to lay off coffee, HELL NO. (DID I MENTION I LOVE COFFEE)

Now, when I extend my arm to shoot and see my tremors giving me a area of hold the size of the 6 ring(and occasionally the entire paper) it really gives me the willies. However, I have noticed something that I've both read and heard repeatedly throughout the years.

ACCEPT YOUR AREA OF MOVEMENT FOR THE DAY AND MOVE YOUR TRIGGER THROUGH THE SHOT PROCESS. Your wobble will center your shots mainly in the 8-10 ring.

If I ever decide to get serious enough to go for High Master I'll give it up again, but I'm comfortable as an Expert and(DID I MENTION I LOVE COFFEE)

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Hey Stork, DO YOU LOVE COFFFEE????????????????????????????????
What kind?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:14 pm

Yea I'm with you Stork, I like my coffee too. But I don't drink nearly as much as you. My last cup is at 6:00 and matches start at 7:00 just in time for the jutters. So I guess I'll have to except my wobble for now and see what kind of scores I'll be shooting, then decide later about giving it up.
Thanks,
mark II

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:03 am

Thanks Bullseye for fixing the poll.
Bigfatdave mentioned using a laser pointer, think I'll try an experiment. I'll use the laser pointer and see what my movements are then after drinking a cup of coffee I'll try to see how much my movements have changed.
Thanks for the replies,
mark II

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:33 am

BAOM,
Folgers, Black-very black you can't quite stand up a spoon in it.
I just can't get into bunny foo foo coffee.

Stork
Last edited by stork on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:37 am

I'm too grumpy to shoot w/o the juice of life (I LOVE COFFEE)....

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:21 pm

Stork wrote: Folgers, Black-very black you can't quite stand up a spoon in it.
I just can't get into bunny foo foo coffee.
I take it no foo-foo creams to sweeten up your coffee - eh? Savage! :D

You probably don't use Grey Poupon mustard either!

R,
Bullseye

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:34 pm

The juice of life, I like that and ain't that the truth. There's a Dunkin Dounuts on every conner around here. You guys have DD?