What about this setup?

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

What about this setup?

Post by mark II » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:07 am

Brought home a used S&W 41 the other day. Doesn't look like it had many rounds throught it, but it's not an older gun.
I'm using it for indoors at 50' and it has the 7" barrel. I like the feel and balance of the gun now but need a red dot.
I took my UD from the Ruger and put it on the 41, but think a UD LT would be a lot lighter and balance better for me.
I would mount it where the rear sight is now. Being back so for what does that do for wooble? Maybe lessen it to a degree because it's over a pivot point and not father out on the barrel? Wooble would be the movement of the dot on the target.
Another thing I would lose is a reference, that being the target centered inside of the tube. Does that matter?
Again this will only be used for indoors at 50' so once it's sighted in I shouldn't have to move it. I've read they can be a bear to adjust. Also there is no light adjustment but read you can put tape over the sensor. Anybody have this setup for Bullseye? Any thoughts or input?
Thanks

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:56 am

Your M-41 should have a proper Weaver rail installed on the barrel. This would place the scope body mainly over the ejection port. You can use a Weaver #62 for your pistol barrel and have it drilled and tapped by a local smith.

R,
Bullseye

Hicksville Kid

Post by Hicksville Kid » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:51 pm

I have that setup on my 41. Here's a shot of it.

I had a Weaver rail on it previously and a cheap red dot on it. The whole thing was ungainly so I looked for a mount to fit the dove tail. I found BME up in VT and he made one for me and I mounted a Burris FF II. It is sooooo much better than the other set-up. The sight is much lower and easier to acquire than the top heavy cheapo. Don't get me wrong. The older one worked well. The Burris just works a lot better and is more aesthetically pleasing.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:48 am

I like the look of that fastfire on there. how durable are those?
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hicksville Kid

Post by Hicksville Kid » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:56 am

In my experience, they are durable. I have had one of the FF IIs on my Glock 34 for over a year and 2-3000 rounds and on my CZ 75TS I've had a C-More ($350) for about 8 months and 2000 rounds. Both of these guns have the red dot on the slide so it takes quite a beating. With the 41 and the Rugers it doesn't 'ride the slide' so they should last forever as they are .22s and are stationary on the gun. YMMV.

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Thats a nice looking set up. Do you use it for bullseye shooting?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:14 pm

that smaller dot looks like it makes the gun balance better than a larger unit would
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne