Champion Bullseye eye glass prescription ?

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Champion Bullseye eye glass prescription ?

Post by FourCornerm'n » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:05 pm

I'm going to attempt to become a bullseye shooter and have an old pair of Champion shooting glasses. My shooting eye has major astigmatism. I'm wondering what I need to know to have an optometrist create the best lens for me? Where the focus needs to be considering the small aperture that are a part of the glasses? And anything else I'd need to know in getting set up

Thanks

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:43 pm

My first question would be what kind of Champion shooting glasses do you have? They make all kinds of frames, is your frame a modular system?

Next, hopefully your optometrist is familiar with the shooting sports. Ask if you can bring in a firearm to have him set up the prescription for the optimum distance to focus on the front sight of your match pistol. Hopefully you do not need bi-focals or Tri-focal lenses as this could determine where your lenses will have that focal point for your shooting needs. Then again, these glasses would just be for the sport and therefore mainly worn on the firing line, but you'll still need some up-close focusing for sight adjustments and close work with your pistol and gear.

R,
Bullseye

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:25 pm

The glasses are marked "Champion 160" and "Neostyle - Switzerland". I bought them around 1990 at Don Nygord's garage - shop when he was still in La Canada, CA.

My right eye has astigmatism of 20 / 600, which was corrected to 20 / 25 three years ago by a small town optometrist in Utah. He was amenable to distancing my 'computer / shooting' glasses to the front sight of one of my 22/45s. He's not a shooter and there weren't any bulls eye competitors in that town.

My concern is what I don't know about the measurement to be taken - considering the sole purpose of using these Champions is to use their sophisticated aperture system. Does the existence of the aperture system change the calculation an optometrist would make? Or is the only calculation to be made based on the normal focus distance without regard to the use of the Champion aperture?

It's unlikely that I'll get a bifocal because of cost. This extra lens for shooting is a stretch as it is. Will make do.

I'm going to try to go back to same guy because no ophthalmologist has ever improved that eye below 20 / 30. The difference is amazing. I'll have to travel about 500 miles round trip, but for all the uses I'm putting my eyes to, it is worth the travel.

Until 2010, I was a combat competitor (known for accurate shooting) with my last hopeless bulls eye match fired in the early 90s. Actually my next-to-last hopeless bulls eye match because I fired a match several weeks ago in which I was not only last - I wasn't even close to any other shooter. The climb will be long, though I'm looking forward to managing one issue and then another to discover what I can do

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:35 pm

I had a special set of glasses made for my shooting. I have yet to get accustomed to them but only have used them twice. My left eye is set for distance with the right set to see the sights. I also have a bad astigmatism problem in my right eye + I should wear trifocals. But I opted for only bi with the bi distance being full arm length. My eye doctor has no problem with be getting my CC gun out to get the focal length right. She said she has one client that shoots competition with the same setup as mine. I need to get them out and do a lot of dry fire practice to get use to them.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:54 pm

This article by Dr. Wong may help your eye care professional with finding the best diopter lens measurement to assist your visual needs for bullseye shooting. http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwo ... guide.html

I especially like the pistol mock-up he uses for those eye doctors who are nervous about having customers bring in their firearms to the office.

Another good point Dr. Wong makes is having an index mark on your supplemental lens so that one can tell if the lens rotates in the frame during installation/removal; corrective lens orientation is very critical for those folks who have astigmatism issues.

R,
Bullseye