Gold Cup optic mount

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

mastersid

Gold Cup optic mount

Post by mastersid » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:47 am

To all;
Have a 80 Series Gold Cup with a no drill B Square slide mount with an Ultra Dot site.
It came loose during a local Bullseye match. We are all novices, learning new stuff. When I tighten the mount enough to manage the recoil, the slide release binds up and the pistol malfunctions.
I do not want to drill the slide, in case I want to return to a CMP legal configuration. How about a grip mount from Brownells? Or should I buy an aftermarket slide and drill and tap a mount?
Any advice?
Thanks, Sid

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Gold Cup optic mount

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:56 pm

mastersid wrote:To all;
Have a 80 Series Gold Cup with a no drill B Square slide mount with an Ultra Dot site.
It came loose during a local Bullseye match. We are all novices, learning new stuff. When I tighten the mount enough to manage the recoil, the slide release binds up and the pistol malfunctions.
I do not want to drill the slide, in case I want to return to a CMP legal configuration. How about a grip mount from Brownells? Or should I buy an aftermarket slide and drill and tap a mount?
Any advice?
Thanks, Sid
What I use on my SA Loaded Parkerized 1911 is an Aimtech mount. It replaces the right grip panel and mounts with the 2 grip screws, plus 2 screws that replace the mainspring housing lower pin and the hammer pivot pin. These 2 pins hold it in alignment. I have used just the grip screwsbut it does allow the mount to tip up or down skightly under recoil.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:31 am

I have to agree with Len, the Aimtech mount is one of the better no-drill mounts for the 1911. Here's what one looks like.

Bud's Gun Shop in Kentucky is currently selling them for $38 here Buds Gun Shop

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:43 am

Thanks for posting the pic to explain things better, Iid not have one available. For Bullseye accurace you definitely need to pull the safety and mainspring housing and replace the pins with the special screws. For just a litle casual plate or pin shooting I have used it with just the grip srews and it will give you a few inches of ellevation shnge at times due to the play in the screw holes. Also use the slotted head screws not the allens or torx, when you tighten them adequately the will snap off esily as there is not much material in them at the juction of the head and the shankk due to the size of the hole swaged in the screw. Broke several of them off that way and went back to the slotted ones.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:25 pm

I also put a drop or two of Locktite (Red 271) under the mount grip to secure it to the frame a little better. To remove the mount, a simple little twist on the rail and it breaks loose from the frame. That sealant takes the wiggle out of this mount.

R,
Bullseye