Bullet casting.

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

winshooter

Post by winshooter » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:16 am

Anyone interested in casting bullets should go to Lyman....they wrote the book. No seriously, they wrote "Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook". I have both the 1st. edition and the latest, 3rd edition and either will answer any question you might have concerning casting lead bullets. They will tell you the foumula to make your bullets depending on what speed (fps) you intend to shoot for either handgun or rifle and they will give you techniques to form the ideal bullet for accuracy. Get the book, read it and then start casting. I've found for my type of shooting I can use unalloyed wheel weights or Ideal #2 formula and not have to worry about leading my barrels. Starting out isn't too expensive though especially if you buy used equipment. You'll need:
Bullet moulds with handles
Bullet metal
Lead pot or electric furnace
Fluxing material (beeswax or a piece of the stick bullet lube you have)
Lead dipper (unless you have a bottom pour furnace..but I still use a dipper)
Hardwood stick (never use anything harder than this to open the mould cut off)
Eye protection (never, never, never allow water to get in your pot)
Gloves
Bullet lubricant
Sizer and Lubricator with proper G and H&I dies
Gas checks if your bullet design requires it

and that should get you started.
I get a lot of satisfaction in making my own bullets and trying for the best accuracy I can obtain. It's not for everyone but with paitience it's very rewarding. And remember to always cast in a well ventilated space or outside to avoid breathing the lead fumes. One of the few advantages of living in Southern California allows me to cast year long outside.

Mike
"Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
Benjamin Franklin

Retired Navy 1966-2004
NRA Life Member
CRPA Member
SBR&GC Member

Ripsaw
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Ripsaw » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:33 am

I've been casting for 7 years, but have known folks who have done it for years. This is for rifle and pistol. As stated in the above posts there is a bit of an art to it, but it is not rocket science. I shoot a lot. Free bullets are VERY appealing to me.

Unfortunately free wheelweight lead is becoming harder but not impossible to find. There is a lot of regulation on lead as a hazardous material now than there used to be. Have you priced .45 200 gr lead SWC bullets lately?? Then there is the shipping. YIKES !!!

Ripsaw
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Lead scarcity

Post by stork » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:52 am

Ripsaw,
Do you have any indoor ranges in your area? If so, just ask the range officer what they are doing with the lead in the impact area. I have acquired several tons of range scrap that way. No its not the best alloy but it does an acceptable job.

Stork
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Ripsaw
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Ripsaw » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:41 pm

Range scrap work quite well, especially for pistol bullets. As far as not being the best alloy, as long as it casts, it's good enough. Range scrap has a higher content of pure lead.

Sometimes, one has to turn up the heat on the pot to get good fill-out.
When alloyed two parts range scrap to one part Wheel Weights and water hardened, they turn out fine usable bullets.

If need be, I can harden it with a little bit of linotype, water drop to harden, and use for rifle bullets.

Ripsaw
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt