Practice loads for .38 special "Snubbie"

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Practice loads for .38 special "Snubbie"

Post by Jack D » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Setting up for reloading for my S&W "Chiefs Special" and looking at all the available cast lead bullets, powders, etc. I decided, once again, to consult the experts.

I've narrowed the powder down and purchased some Bullsyeye. It seems to work well with most, if not all, the bullet weights (according to loading data). Since I'm going to load practice rounds only (I use Speer Gold Dot for the serious stuff), I'm leaning toward a 125 gr. bullet cast in 2/6 alloy at starting (light) loads . Will this work well in a snubbie? All I've ever fired in it are 158 gr. factory loads.

What are your favorite snubbie practice loads?

Any thing to watch out for?

Thanks
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:49 pm

I like wadcutter target loads best for practice.

Load them up just like you were going to shoot bullseye.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:06 pm

I load 158gr LSWC with Universal clays not sure of the charge weight off hand but its a middle of the road charge... I like the mid range 158gr bullets because most fixed sight revolvers, snubbies in particular, are regulated for that weight bullet at 800-900 fps. or so I was informed and they seem to shoot to poa for me at least.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:36 am

charlesb wrote:I like wadcutter target loads best for practice.

Load them up just like you were going to shoot bullseye.
I don't think Bullseye wants to be shot. :D
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:46 am

Any preference .357 or .358?.... grooved or not (most, but ot all appear to be grooved for....what...grease? some kind of seal? Some come with the grooves filled and some not filled. Some mention lube, but don't elaborate. What is a gas check?

I've loaded hundreds of jacketed rifle cartridges, but never cast lead. I don't have a clue.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:40 am

Jack D wrote:Any preference .357 or .358?.... grooved or not (most, but ot all appear to be grooved for....what...grease? some kind of seal? Some come with the grooves filled and some not filled. Some mention lube, but don't elaborate. What is a gas check?

I've loaded hundreds of jacketed rifle cartridges, but never cast lead. I don't have a clue.
Don/t shoot a snub-nose but here are a couple of loads I user just fun shooting in my th Anniversary Blackhawk and my Marlin 1894C both chambered for .38/.357. 148 WC or a 158 RNFP, both Alox lubed and no gas check. Use Green Dot powder 3.5 to 4.3 grains, both loads shoot well. The most accurate load is the 4.3 Green Dot with the 158 RNFP in the rifle. The 148WC and 3.5 of Green Dot is a nice soft shooting load in the revolver, butt they both work well in either gun, others opinions can and most likely will vary.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:43 am

Jack D wrote:Any preference .357 or .358?.... grooved or not (most, but ot all appear to be grooved for....what...grease? some kind of seal? Some come with the grooves filled and some not filled. Some mention lube, but don't elaborate. What is a gas check?

Normally if your shooting lead bullets it will be sized 0.001" larger than std. This insures a good seal between the barrel and bullet. If you do not you will get leakage and lead fouling in the barrel. If your using a hard cast, then you will need to push the bullet faster inorder for it to seal. I normally use 2400 for my SWC.

The grove is for the bullet lube.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:01 pm

Normally if your shooting lead bullets it will be sized 0.001" larger than std.
Great! .358 is OK then.
The grove is for the bullet lube.
If I buy with groove filled then no further lubrication is necessary (I see bullet lube in spray cans)?

The Speer Gold Dot ammo is 135 Gn. This is what it will be stoked with when I'm serious. I'm thinking it would be best to practice with what (bullet weight) I plan to use when serious. But then again, the loads will be lighter and we're talking 20'-30' practice range. Does it really make any difference at that range?

Maybe I'm getting too technical.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:11 pm

Jack D, don't worry about the load as it is a short barrel gun with rudimentary sights and not a target gun. At S/S distances it is not aiming but point and shoot so all the rounds hit COM, dont have to be 10's or X's. My normal carry is an SA Micro and it will do that job easily. Use whatever .358 bullet is available atthe best price, targets do not know the difference.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:21 pm

Use whatever .358 bullet is available atthe best price, targets do not know the difference.
That's about what I was beginning to think. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't getting into a dark place where I might stumble. Thanks all for the input
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

greener

Post by greener » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:14 am

bearandoldman wrote:Jack D, don't worry about the load as it is a short barrel gun with rudimentary sights and not a target gun. At S/S distances it is not aiming but point and shoot so all the rounds hit COM, dont have to be 10's or X's. My normal carry is an SA Micro and it will do that job easily. Use whatever .358 bullet is available atthe best price, targets do not know the difference.
My targets must know the difference. Sometimes they just jump right out of the way of the bullet. :lol:

Most recently I've been loading 158gr lswc's with 4.5gr universal. I've also loaded some 125gr lead flat points with 4.5gr universal, which makes a milder recoil in my 442. 4.5 gr of Unique and 158gr lead bullets is a pretty good load.

I shoot the 125gr loads in my 442 for practice because they are milder than the 158gr loads. I shoot the 442 frequently because I tend to carry it more than other handguns, but I don't shoot many rounds, just enough to keep me convinced I can hit what I intend in an SD situation. I have other revolvers that are more fun and comfortable to shoot at targets.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:51 am

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:Jack D, don't worry about the load as it is a short barrel gun with rudimentary sights and not a target gun. At S/S distances it is not aiming but point and shoot so all the rounds hit COM, dont have to be 10's or X's. My normal carry is an SA Micro and it will do that job easily. Use whatever .358 bullet is available atthe best price, targets do not know the difference.
My targets must know the difference. Sometimes they just jump right out of the way of the bullet. :lol:

Most recently I've been loading 158gr lswc's with 4.5gr universal. I've also loaded some 125gr lead flat points with 4.5gr universal, which makes a milder recoil in my 442. 4.5 gr of Unique and 158gr lead bullets is a pretty good load.

I shoot the 125gr loads in my 442 for practice because they are milder than the 158gr loads. I shoot the 442 frequently because I tend to carry it more than other handguns, but I don't shoot many rounds, just enough to keep me convinced I can hit what I intend in an SD situation. I have other revolvers that are more fun and comfortable to shoot at targets.
Greener, you got to quit buying hem cheap targets.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:36 am

greener wrote:

I ususally go with 4.2 gr of UC

greener

Post by greener » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:50 am

I'll have to get the cheap targets, it's the expensive ones that jump out of the way. I'd do Bullseye's grocery bags, but they are harder to come by now.

I think I used about 4.2 gr of UC a while back. Went to 4.5 gr for some reason. Should have kept better notes. Looks like I'll have to load up a few and find out why I changed. 4.5 grains on a 158 gr lead bullet is about 974 fps. Dropping back to 4.2 may be a good idea.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:02 am

greener wrote:I'll have to get the cheap targets, it's the expensive ones that jump out of the way. I'd do Bullseye's grocery bags, but they are harder to come by now.

I think I used about 4.2 gr of UC a while back. Went to 4.5 gr for some reason. Should have kept better notes. Looks like I'll have to load up a few and find out why I changed. 4.5 grains on a 158 gr lead bullet is about 974 fps. Dropping back to 4.2 may be a good idea.
4.5 of UC should be about the same as my loads of 4.3 of GD as UC is a little slower burning.

here is a very innformative website for all kinds of loads
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata