Brass types

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Brass types

Post by Hakaman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:27 pm

As I shoot in the service rifle league, I am finding my reloading ammo to be a little inconsistant.
I know some of it is my bad, but some not. One reason I have found is reloading a specific
load in different manufacturers of brass, even in different years of Lake City brass which is the bulk of what I reload.
Lake City 06, 30.6g
Lake City 04, 30.4g
Remington 30.4g
Lapua 30.1g
etc
etc
I am learning I "must" sort my brass!
Haka

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:51 pm

Have you determined what your max OAL is? In general the most accurate rounds have the bullet with in 0.010" of the lands. But DO NOT TOUCH the lands. This minimize bullet wobble as it enters the rifling. Type and powder and how much it fills the case has a big impact to. I prefer one that fills the case with very little empty space. This makes the powder burn from back to front and not breach across the top.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:38 pm

A thought, for precision loading, Yes you need to sort brass, but after it's sorted out it's a good idea to weigh each case within a lot of sorted brass.
Use the ones that weigh closest to each other, save the rest for other work. Weight isn't the final answer to case wall thickness, but it helps.
Also, when you trim your cases to case length standard, you might want to check neck thickness, concentricity, etc.
Lots of hours of work for a micro-second of 'boom'. I know I'm a bit obsessive compulsive, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing when re-loading. Maybe. And What blue just said too.:D