Using synthetic motor oil as a case lube for reloading

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

glockster68

Using synthetic motor oil as a case lube for reloading

Post by glockster68 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:28 pm

Hello, I have a question I saw a guy on youtube putting synthetic motor oil on his 223 brasss to lube the cases prior to resizing. I am just getting into reloading and wonder if that is ok to use instead of the traditional case lubes?

Thanks

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:52 pm

Any good grade oil could work the problem is cleaning the lube off. If oil gets to primers if will kill them. I use the Hornady One-Shot Case Lube. A lot quicker and no cleaning required.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:39 pm

I have been using Hornady One Shot for years on all my reloads. It makes everything just work a lot eaiser. :)

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:20 pm

I used RCBS case lube (with a pad) for a long time, and it works well.
The past 4-5 years, I use Dillon's spray lube (pump bottle). A little goes a really long way, and it's easier to clean up than the RCBS was.
Probably it isn't any better that some others, but it works, and I'm a long way from any stores, so it's easier to just keep a list, then order on-line. When I do get to town though, I always stop by the "toy" stores to see what they have that I "need".