Loading 9mm 147g compared to 115g

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

TH3180

Loading 9mm 147g compared to 115g

Post by TH3180 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:55 pm

Two weeks ago I shot in my 1st IPSC style match and I had a ton of fun. Something that was brought up to me is some steel matches this summer about an hour away from my house, which sounds really fun to me. I plan on giving it a go. One problem I have is I own one center fire pistol, which is a G17. I have been doing a lot of searching and reading. From what I have found I will have trouble at a steel match with 115g bullets unless I load them hot which I really don't want to do. I have found that I should be ok with 147g bullets. I know the simple solution would be get a bigger gun like a 45. For many reasons that is not going to happen before summer. I am stuck with what I have for a while, I have to make it work.

Today I went out and bought some Montana Gold 147gr CMJ bullets. I want to start working up loads now so I am not crunched for time this summer. I only make it to the range once or twice a month. I have two powders to work with right now, Unique and HP38/W231. I would rather work with W231 because I get more consistent metering from it compared to Unique. Lyman 49th list W231 at 3.5g to 4.1g at 1.115 OAL. I seated a few dummy rounds and I came up with 1.125 OAL. The way I came to that OAL. I didn't adjust my die from seating 115g bullets. Which I seat to 1.150 OAL. I would rather not have to adjust my seating die when I load 147g compared to 115g. The only thing I don't know is if it crimped the case. It should have shouldn't it? I mean the case is still the same length regardless of what bullet is in it right?

I am thinking of going up by twos. At 1.125 OAL, I will load 15 rounds at 3.5g, 15 rounds at 3.7g and 15 rounds at 3.9g. I will find the sweet spot there and then maybe go 0.1g either side of that and see what I get. I am not a good enough shooter that 0.1g will matter.

Any advice I can get would be great. From what I have read 147g is the most accurate 9mm bullet out there. I would like to shoot it in some of the IPSC like matches I will be shooting but they end the beginning of April and I'm not sure I will have time to work a good load by then. As of right now the shop doesn't have work for me tomorrow. I may try and work up my 45 loads and sneak away to the range. I don't now if that will happen or not. The wife may have better plans for me if I'm home.

Thanks in advance
Tim
"Ballons make evryone feel better" My son Tyler while getting a ballon for his baby sister when she was in the hospital

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:35 pm

Only step up at 0.1gr with pistol loads, small volume cases. With 231 it does not take much to a safe round not so safe. Bullet setback can spike real quick on 9mm rounds. 231 loads like the shorter OAL, but do not go under the min without backing off the loads a little. Your taper crimp should be fine as is, provide you had a good 0.002-0.003" before and using the same brass. RP brass is thinner and will not have the same crimp as a WW. I check mine by pulling the bullet and measuring the ring left in the bullet. 231 would not be my choice of powder for the 147gr. I like using WSF on my 124gr, they shoot softer than my 115's do with 231.

You will know and can tell the difference as you step up. Make sure to check for over pressure signs after each load. With the long heavier bullet you have less to work with when it comes to OAL.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

TH3180

Post by TH3180 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:27 pm

I did some loading and shooting today. I found that 3.9g of 231 at 1.150 OAL had the tightest five shot groups. One target was 1.26" and the other was 1.43" shooting from a sandbag rest at 21'. I didn't see any signs of over pressure. Which I didn't expect to, I'm a little over there test OAL and .2g under max load. I did start at the bottom and worked up to 3.9g. I think for right now I am going to load some up. I am also going to look into other powders to try.
"Ballons make evryone feel better" My son Tyler while getting a ballon for his baby sister when she was in the hospital

TH3180

Post by TH3180 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:35 pm

I bought a pound of AA#7 to try pushing the 147g bullets. I loaded some up and now I just need to find time to make it to the range to try them out. The wait is what kills me.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:54 am

TH3180 wrote:I did some loading and shooting today. I found that 3.9g of 231 at 1.150 OAL had the tightest five shot groups. One target was 1.26" and the other was 1.43" shooting from a sandbag rest at 21'. I didn't see any signs of over pressure. Which I didn't expect to, I'm a little over there test OAL and .2g under max load. I did start at the bottom and worked up to 3.9g. I think for right now I am going to load some up. I am also going to look into other powders to try.
No problem in going over the OAL, it's running short that can calls problems. Take a look at the WSF powder for the heavier bullets. It has a slower burn rate than 231. I use it on my 124 gr but they also list it with the 147gr. The load books list using the MAX OAL with this powder. So if you run the bullet short make sure to back off on the load a little. Now being a slower burn rate it shoots softer than my 115gr w/231. It's also a ball powder so it meters well like the 231.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911