A Learning exerience

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

A Learning exerience

Post by Medicine Hat » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:44 am

I changed over a tool head last night on my Dillon RL 550 B press to load a different caliber. Nothing new or unusual there. Checking calibrations and adjusting the powder drop, I managed to spill just a little powder. No big deal, that's happened before. So I needed to clean that up before I started, and just grabbed the shop vac and sucked up the powder. There was only a little bit spilled.
On the shell plate, at each station there is a little brass pin that keeps the case in the carrier plate. They work well.
My shop vac ate one of them..didn't even chew it, just swallowed it. Rats!!
Fortunately, it was a new bag in the vac, and just a small incision in it, and I found the pin.
So, I learned that my usual proceedure of using canned air pressure to clean crumbs off the press, THEN vacuum the floor is a better proceedure.
Learning experience. :mrgreen:

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:19 am

I hear that happening on a regular basis. At least you know what your looking for when it happens. My LNL-AP does not have any small parts that will come off during cleaning/vacuum.

I just finished reloading 3800 rounds of 124gr 9mm yesterday, so I'm good for awhile. Now I need to decide if I want to load some 357mag 8)
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Chopperdoc

Post by Chopperdoc » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:29 am

LOL..I've done that more than once!!