Light Strikes. Primers?

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:54 am

I occasionally tap the primer feed tray to keep them from sticking and causing misfeeds. I also don't let the primers run out in the feed tray trough. Once they are just below the round tray opening, I load in a new one, otherwise they will jam up on you.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:29 pm

Bullseye wrote:I occasionally tap the primer feed tray to keep them from sticking and causing misfeeds. I also don't let the primers run out in the feed tray trough. Once they are just below the round tray opening, I load in a new one, otherwise they will jam up on you.

R,
Bullseye
CCI primers tend to slide out of the tray and down pretty well. I had fits with Winchester primers. They would bridge in the tray and needed tapping to keep them feeding.

Let the primers go below the tray connection (see space above them) then pull the tray. But you are right, loose the mass above the primers and they don't feed well.

greener

EUREKA

Post by greener » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:37 pm

The feed problem seems to be the primer size.

Looks like I have some Federal and Blazer brass that takes small pistol primers.

I have no problem priming any other caliber. I can't find anything wrong with the carrier/shell plate/press. The problems are random.

Went over the carrier today and primed 6 cases with zero problems. Set up to reload and the third primer wouldn't seat. Decided I'd put ones that didn't seat aside. After about 5 set-asides, I noticed they were all Federal and then I noticed the primer looked a little small. Picked up a couple Blazer cases that were small. No failures with anything else.

Didn't even think about .45 ACP rounds being done with small pistol primers. Must be picking this up along with my brass.
Last edited by greener on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:47 pm

I have seen some .45A CP with small pistol primers, not rel common , but they are there.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:51 pm

I got a bunch of them.

You solve your primer problem?

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:58 pm

I have been having light strikes with my 357, mags and spl's. I replaced the strain the "strain screw" (thanks to the hack gunsmith who ground it down),
and that helped. I have some philosophies on light strikes:
1) strain screw out of adjustment
2) primer not seated fully
3) dirty firing pin bushing
4) maybe the following rounds backing out of cylinder slightly upon firing the intended round.
There might be more reasons, I don't know everything! :wink:
Haka

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:42 pm

Those SPP have been around for several years now. The can be pita if you don't catch them in a progressive press. With the brass feeder on my LNL I have to catch them during the cleaning process otherwise I will not have a chance to look at the head stamp. I think there are 4 different mfg using them now. I set them aside and only load them when I get enough to mess with. Or I use them when I don't want to pick up my brass. There is nothing wrong with them, they load and shoot just like the LPP. But man do they cause problems if mixed in with the LPP.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:54 pm

They started using SPP on the lead less typ ammo on 45acp then to keep manufacturing simple they just use the SPP cases if thats what they have for the regular runs of ammo. from what I understand.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:06 am

Most all common calibers use the SPP except for the 45acp, till then. Federal still makes ammo with LPP but you want find it at WW. So just sorting by head stamp does not work out. I have Speer, Hornady and Starline besides Federal that have SPP. I think most carry ammo has switched over to the SPP but I don't know why since LEAD is hazardous to your health. Which is the least of your worries if you get shot.

I generally reload the SPP 45's when I'm changing over from 9mm. But it's takes less than 5 min for me to switch primer size, sled, seater and drop tube. I've done it a few times so it's pretty quick. Takes me longer to change my brass feeder over due to way it's designed.

Reloader beware. They will cause a havic on a AP.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911