.327 Federal mag primers

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jrayb95

.327 Federal mag primers

Post by jrayb95 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:16 pm

I am getting ready to start loading some .327 Fed mag ammo because I finally have some brass and according to Federals website they use small rifle primers.
I have been loading .32 H&R mag ammo for my Ruger .327 Fed mag SP101 and have been using small pistol primers and have several thousand small pistol primers on hand. I don't reload any rifle ammo.
Is there any particular reason Federal uses small rifle primers because all of my manuals show small pistol primers? Should I be able to use small pistol primers with no problem?
j

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:27 am

Fed SPP have a very thin cap and ignite easily. The reason most prefer them if they are working with a revolver that has the hammer spring lightened on a trigger job. Std SR primers have a heavier cup like a SP Mag primer. The burn rate is very close to the same. You may try a few and see what happens. Normally you will have about 30fps difference between std and mag primers. If your not loading the top in, it not a problem. If you switch components it always best to back off and rework up your loads. Look for the the cup being pierced, leakage around the cap. If you have a crony look for large swings in velocity, indicating incomplete burn.

Load a very few for the test, like <10 rounds. Confirm the primer is working fine then start working up your loads. I normally will not load more than 10 rounds when I start working up loads. Once I find the one that work the best I load larger amount of it and on each side to confirm.

Be safe.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

jrayb95

Post by jrayb95 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:01 am

Thanks for the info, Blue.
j