Gonna' buy one...help!

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Ezduzit

Gonna' buy one...help!

Post by Ezduzit » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:45 am

I'm an experienced shooter with 3 full gun safes, but have never had an AR style gun. I'm gonna' buy one of the following, all in 5.56: S &W, DPMS, Colt and Bushmaster. I seem to favor the Colt and the S&W. I'd appreciate any advice or good/bad experiences. Thanks guys.
Ezduzit

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:54 am

I've owned or own The DPMS and Bushmaster in the DCM configuration and a Rock River in an M4 config.

The DCM's were unbelivable shooters (under 1/2" @ 100 yds) and 100% reliable as long as I watched the OAL when loading.

The RR, I've only owned for 1 1/2 years and haven't gotten around to shooting it yet. I bought it mainly for cold weather coyote hunting and haven't taken time to work up cold weather loads yet.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:18 am

EZ, you haven't stated what you plan on using it for, barrel length, accessories, and so on. I think it would be difficult to suggest which one without more info. Many people buy them for home protection, hunting, target practice, and competition. I have a RRA NM I use in league competition and think it's a fine rifle. I have heard Colt makes a great rifle. One thing, all the parts are pretty much interchangeable.
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:07 pm

I have a colt m4 style issued to me at work and its a nice rifle.

I think haka is right, you need to define your purpose before you can figure out what you want. most all of them are the same in my book, as long as you set it up for your needs you are good to go.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:35 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I just got a DPMS. Seems to be pretty good, but I haven't shaken me and the rifle out yet. A couple guys I know give the M&P good reviews. Looks like these things are erector sets. You can build one from a box of parts or pretty much replace any part.

Ezduzit

Purpose/useage

Post by Ezduzit » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:06 am

I shoot 3 kinds of small bore rimfire competition, but I want this gun for defense, casual target shooting and plinking around the ranch. I want it to be very accurate.
Ezduzit

Ezduzit

Noveske

Post by Ezduzit » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:03 am

Today I bought a Noveske 5.56 in tan color. It's used, but in perfect condition. Anybody got any experience with one?
Ezduzit

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:44 am

How about a little more specific information on the rifle you got. They come in lots of different flavors and varieties. What length barrel did you settle on? What configuration is your Noveske?

R,
Bullseye

Ezduzit

Noveske

Post by Ezduzit » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:46 pm

Sixteen inch barrel with flash hider. No manual. I think it's called a "Light Recce." In 5.56 with Pelican rolling case and three mags and a 1:7 twist. Stainless lined barrel and Timney trigger. Four position stock. Flip up sights. That's about all I can report. I'm on my way to the Noveske site. Maybe I can find out more. I can't ask my acquaintance from whom I bought it as he is a civilian contractor(public works engineer) on his way back to Iraq.

Since the paragraph above I've been to the Noveske site and picked up some more info. It's a "N4 Light Recce Low Profile Rifle.". It has a treatment of some sort called MP. HD. Anybody know what that means?
Ezduzit