AR-15/22lr inquiry to RRA's.

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

AR-15/22lr inquiry to RRA's.

Post by Hakaman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:45 pm

I sent this inquiry message to Rock River Arms:
I have purchased two rra's NM rifles, one an A4, the other an A2. I am very happy with them. One suggestion I have doesn't pertain to them, but pertains to a AR-15/22 model. Personally, I think you are missing out on a lot of sales opportunity, without a couple products in 22lr. I am in the market for one, not a cheap feeling rifle, but a good quality AR15/22lr model, similar in quality as your NM models listed above. With the price of ammo on the rise, many people will be choosing a rifle that isn't so expensive to shoot. Do you have any plans of such a rifle ?
Hope to hear back,
Tom
RRA's Reply:
No, we do not have any plans for that caliber at this time but we generally only bring out new products at the beginning of each year.

With the price of ammo, i'm thinking a AR-15/22lr of good quality would sell quite well?
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:48 pm

RRA does put out a very nice product, and jumping on the 22lr bandwagon would be a great move. but there are a lot of companies out there putting out quality rimfire uppers and rifles.

RRA did make their own mark when they put out an AR variant in 7.62x39mm that runs off AK mags, a very cool variant if you ask me.Image
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:46 am

RRA does put out a very nice product, and jumping on the 22lr bandwagon would be a great move. but there are a lot of companies out there putting out quality rimfire uppers and rifles.
Those look like neat AR's to own, and if I were to choose I'd go for the delta carbine so I could put a hand grip on the front to steady while shooting. Both are cool rifles though. I really think there is a big void in the market right now for a quality AR15/22lr, one that resembles and feels like a larger caliber model. I was all set to buy an AR15/22lr model from the LGS, as they had three different models in stock, but when I got to the store to actually hold one I was very disappointed. My first impression was that I was holding a rifle bought in a 'dime store'. They were very light in weight, and seemed like they would fall apart if you got a little rough with them. My RRA 223 is strongly built with quality in mind. These 22lr versions seemed just the opposite. As time goes on, 22lr versions in rifle and pistol, are becoming more and more attractive as the price of ammo will continue to increase. As I read other inputs while surfing, it's the same story over and over, people wanting a quality AR15/22lr that shoots reliably, and feels and looks like the larger caliber versions.
Haka

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:28 pm

I friend at the range let me shoot his newly purchased S&W AR22. I shot four
25 rd mags through it, half with Rem Goldens, and half with CCI SV, not a glitch.
He said they had a good supply of them at Dunham's Sports Store. Hmm? should I ?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y
Haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Hakaman wrote:I friend at the range let me shoot his newly purchased S&W AR22.
He said they had a good supply of them at Dunham's Sports Store. Hmm? should I ?
Haka
Go for it Haka but its an S&W 15-22 bought one some time back and other than changing a trigger spring to lighten it a little it is box stock and shoots better than I have ever expected for that type of gun. Bought it in March of 2011, I shoot from the left so the gun is set up for me, scope for 25 yards and out and a reflex for 7 yard fun shooting.
Image Image
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Good shooting OM, they ought to call you sharp eye! I might have to go get one of them
at the LGS? Hope all is going well for you up there in the 'garden' parts of Michigan.
Haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Hakaman wrote:Good shooting OM, they ought to call you sharp eye! I might have to go get one of them
at the LGS? Hope all is going well for you up there in the 'garden' parts of Michigan.
Haka
notbad Hsks

JRaz

Post by JRaz » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:05 am

Look at the Sig 522. I have one and it shoots any ammo without any problems and tight groups. Not a cheap feeling piece of junk.

john

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:22 am

JRaz wrote:Look at the Sig 522. I have one and it shoots any ammo without any problems and tight groups. Not a cheap feeling piece of junk.

john
which guns are cheap feeling piece of junk???????????????

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:40 pm

I took the OM's advice and purchased a S&W model 811033 AR-22. Dunham's Sports price was $519 minus a $50 sale = $469+tax. They also save a bucket of ammo (1400 rds of Rem goldens) for a firearm purchaser @ $64. So I purchased both the rifle and the bucket of ammo. I shot a friends at the range this weekend, probably sold me on the rifle, and it shot incredibly reliable. I shot through 3 mags of 25rds ea as fast as I could pull the trigger, and it dug a significant hole in the berm without a failure. It seems like the consensus is that everybody likes the S&W because of it's simplicity, ease of cleaning, and great reliability. I had the opportunity to purchase a COLT M4 OPS 22LR BLK 30RD, made by Walther/Umarex. Not sure how all the names apply, but it has the Colt name, somehow made by Walther, and distributed by Umarex? I did some research on the web and most responses said stay away from the Colt, and definitely buy a S&W. I also heard great reviews about the Sig 556. But if the OM says the Smith is the way to go, I believe him. Hey OM, or whoever wants to respond, what kind of prep should I do before i take it to the range?

S&W M&P
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/61690

Colt/Walther Uramex:
http://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalo ... 0rd-black/

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:02 pm

I ran a wet and a dry patch through the bore, put a drop or so of CLP on the pivot points and took it out and shot it, Have not really touched it since. When I bought mine they were 550.00, I traded in a Rem 572 pump on it for 225.00 and away we went.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks OM, I'll do those things. I never bought ammo by the bucket before,
check out what Natchez is selling it for:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... ID=RT21231

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:48 pm

Hakaman wrote:Thanks OM, I'll do those things. I never bought ammo by the bucket before,

Price is not really too bad, GB's may not be the best but you can burn through a lot of ammo plinking and having fun with that 15-22. I know I can get rid of a 100 pretty quick as I have 4 525 round mags.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:55 am

bearandoldman wrote:
Hakaman wrote:Thanks OM, I'll do those things. I never bought ammo by the bucket before,

Price is not really too bad, GB's may not be the best but you can burn through a lot of ammo plinking and having fun with that 15-22. I know I can get rid of a 100 pretty quick as I have 4 525 round mags.
525 round mags???? :shock:

Awesome
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:02 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:

525 round mags???? :shock:

Awesome
I believe in fire power, but they are a little weighty for an oldman to tote around. Old men have been known to stretch the truth a little at times and type poorly also?