Cleaning Rod Guide for M1A Scout Squad

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Cleaning Rod Guide for M1A Scout Squad

Post by charlesb » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:12 am

After watching an M1A cleaning video, I was interested in the cleaning rod guide made from a 12 ga. shotgun shell.

In the video, it is pointed out that an empty 12 ga. shotgun hull with the primer removed can serve as a cleaning rod guide for the M1A. Depending on the diameter of the cleaning rod, drilling out the primer pocket on the hull may or may not be necessary. The hull fits perfectly over the regular M1A flash hider.

I didn't have a 12 ga. hull on hand, so I proceeded to the gun club with a round of #4 buck with high brass and my Mossberg 500. - Soon after, I had my empty 12 ga. hull.

At home, I tried to fit the hull over the muzzle brake on my SA Scout Squad, and it was a pretty tight fit! - A little too tight as it was hard to put on and take off. Apparently the Scout's muzzle brake is slightly larger in diameter than a flash hider.

I tried trimming off the crimped part of the hull and saw some improvement, but it was still hard to remove from the muzzle brake. I became concerned about it shining up the finish on the muzzle brake. - So I tried trimming the plastic part of the hull so that it protruded only 3/4" past the brass - and this worked much better. Still a bit snug, but not unreasonably so.

So if you have a Scout Squad, try trimming the plastic part of the hull so that it is not so tight on the muzzle brake, but still stays in place. - It worked for me!

Akkar

Post by Akkar » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:26 pm

Really? Does it work okay? I don't own a scout squad but I've seen a couple for sale. I'm thinking about getting one soon thanks for the info!

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:28 pm

It works pretty good.