1911 Holster

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

1911 Holster

Post by keithj » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:40 pm

I sometimes carry my full sized 1911......that being said I have a good belt holster that works just fine for carry and IDPA but I'd like to find a comfortable ITW holster for it as well. can anyone give me some Idea of a good ITW holster for a 1911.....??
Keith

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:15 pm

Don Hume holsters are good.
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:53 pm

Yes I have several Don Hume Holesters like them alot .......But I'm looking for more of a specific reply ......Maybe a model# and/or personel carry experience ,what to stay away from ,what to look for kinda thing.....I dont want to buy this holster more than once and would like to get as close to right as possible on the first try.......Problem is none of my freinds cearry or shoot IDPA from a ITW holster with there 1911"s so I dont have any examples to try as I did with all of the belt holster I own......I dont like to carry in the waist but Its the best way to hide a full size 1911.....so I need a good comfortable holster ............

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:15 am

Anybody tired one of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

I'm making do with an old Uncle Mike's ballistic nylon, but I'd really like to have a nice leather unit for my Combat Commander.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:42 am

I've used one of those suede style IWB holster for years. It's made for a 1911 but my Hi-Power fits in it a little better and feels more comfortable when carrying concealed.

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:05 am

I'm completely sold on the hybrid leather/Kydex holsters, I like CrossBreed, but Kholster and Comp-Tac make good ones too.

I prefer not to pack with the clip on top of the pistol, the wider holster spreads the weight, and the wide rough leather backing keeps stuff from sliding around.
Here's some pictures I posted elsewhere of my SuperTuck from CrossBreed:

ImageImage
ImageImage

The PPS is of somewhat comparable width, obviously it is not the same height/length/weight as a 1911. Once I find the happy spot with this holster, I only notice the pistol when I am going from standing to sitting (or vice versa). I managed to snag the front hook and bend it, CB sent me better hooks free and fast, and they also answer EMail promptly if you have direct questions.

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:39 am

These are the best I have worn but they are really busy. The quality is great!! http://www.brigadegunleather.com/
Smokey

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:15 am

My holster I made for my P229-9 is real similar to the comtac hybrid holster. With the exception I lined the hydex with pig skin and the rough leather with pig skin for a moister barrier. It has worked real good for the texas heat. I have been ringing with sweet and the holster/gun stays dry... I carry mine at the 3 o-clock position. This allows me to sit comfortable and not get stabled in the back even in car seats. The adjustability is really good since you can change the scant in 1/4" incruments and adj height in 1/4", due to fact I have 2 sets of clips which are off by 1/4" giving me the adjustments. I needed the extra adjustments due to a medical implant which rides over my right kidney. But to make any gun really ride good you need a good gun belt and ballast on opposite side like extra magazines.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

lund329

Post by lund329 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:53 pm

Take the time to investigate Tucker Gunleather. I have "The Answer" with the leather lining. It's a little pricier but when you have it broken in, it's as good as it gets. I carry a full size M1911 in it. It's like the Crossbreed design but I don't know which came first...and who cares? Good luck!

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:59 am

Well thx to all that responded ......I think dollar for dollar and all things considered I believe I'm gonna look at the crossbreed pretty hard....I really like there quik tuck model ...thx
keith