S&W Bodyguard .380

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:21 am

I like the slightly larger 380's better than the keltec ruger taurus sig etc micro size jobs, the ppk bersa size are a lot nicer to shoot, I actually like the walther pk380 for size and feel (essentially a p22 in 380) have not shot one but they look feel good in the hand and would not be a burden to cc.... I know some dispise the p22 and pk380 but I think I like 'em

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:10 am

bgreenea3 wrote:I like the slightly larger 380's better than the keltec ruger taurus sig etc micro size jobs, the ppk bersa size are a lot nicer to shoot, I actually like the walther pk380 for size and feel (essentially a p22 in 380) have not shot one but they look feel good in the hand and would not be a burden to cc.... I know some dispise the p22 and pk380 but I think I like 'em
Yes my P3AT is noit nice to shoot but I don.t think it was meant to, but it csrries easily. Love your avatar.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:35 am

Although I have a range acquaintance who shoots 200 rounds/week minimum through his Taurus 850, the little pocket guns aren't, IMO, made for fun hours at the range. I've got the Taurus 738 and it feels better than the Kel-tec or the LCP. It's had some problems that, I think, were solved by Taurus.

I'm a little surprised by the problems with S&W's .380. I thought they were pretty quick to address problems with the newer guns.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:39 am

Locoweed wrote:There's suddenly a rash of reports of the take-down lever popping out of the BG380 during firing, especially during rapid fire. Some people have had their guns back at the factory twice for this problem and S&W seems to be clueless about the problem and fixing it. Mine just got back from S&W after they fixed a broken trigger mechanism (I only fired two rounds). I'm wondering if I want to invest all my time and ammo in this gun only to find out that I have a take-down lever problem as well. I want my self-defense handguns to be utterly reliable and I certainly don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about the BG380. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just cut my losses and trade it in on another gun.
I did a google search on the BG380 and found your posts on the S&W forum. I'd give yours 250 rounds to see if it is going to function.

PS. Saw the mention of the S&W mod 61. Seems not to have been one of their better ideas. Think I'd love to find one.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:48 pm

Bullseye wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:not a glock fan, but they are ok.... there isn't anything tangible about why I don't care for them (or the Berretta 92) they just are not right for me.
I didn't really care much for the feel of the Glock grip either, until I picked up a Gen4. Once I placed the large adjustable backstrap on my G17(g4) the feel was much better for my big hands. I also like the larger magazine release button on the G4's.

I also concur about the 92's, that grip feels way too wide for the pistol. I can shoot them well but I don't care for the feel or the trigger.

R,
Bullseye
Glocks and Beretts's fullsize offerings never did work for my hands.
I've been unable to find a Gen4 to play with, the interchangeable backstraps might just make it work for me, which would be nice since I have a carbine that takes the same mags, I may be the only person ever to buy a SUB2000 and not own the matching pistol in the first place.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:13 pm

For range shooting I want a large .380. Good friend of mine who is a retired LEO calls the KT-3AT a smell their breath pistol. I get a kick out of that, but he is right. I practice 10' to 20' point shooting mine. :wink:

You have to get the feel for these little pistols or they probably will not do you much good under stress. :)

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:25 pm

I like my avatar too! thanks Len :D

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:33 pm

It isn't the Sweetwater's logo

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:36 pm

I guess that's why you practice with the little guns every now and then. I'd prefer a full size, but they are darned hard to put in your pocket. My Taurus .380 does nicely for carry, but I carry the S&W 442 more often. I know, in a pinch, I won't do as well as I do with shots at a measured pace and time to aim. Most of my shooting with the little guns is at 15 yards and I try to do some faster shooting. Not IDPA type rush. But I figure if I can do minute of paper sheet at 45 feet, I'd do ok at breath smelling range.

Maybe

I hope

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:17 pm

greener wrote:It isn't the Sweetwater's logo
it should be

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:44 am

Is that the Dunkin division?

R,
Bullseye

Oldguy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Oldguy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:00 pm

Hakaman, I agree with about S&W quality. I have an M&P9 and 686 SSR Pro Series that I had to return. Couldn't hit squat with the M&P, nor could anyone who tried it. They replaced the front sight with a lower one, but still wasn't great. I put a set of XS Big Dots on it and made all the difference in the world. Finally works like it should.

My 686 was erratic and I noticed some ring-shaped scratches in the forcing cone. I sent it back, and got a cryptic note back with it saying "replaced barrel, honed forcing cone."

I like S&W but won't buy another.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:40 am

I have not had an issue with any of my smiths (629, 442, 422, 10-6, sw99) maybe i got lucky...

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am

The only Smith I have is my 422 and it works just fine, only problem has ever showed up was because of some of my reloads not seating deep enough in the cylinder and dragging on the frame. Need to do a better crimp.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Oldguy wrote:Hakaman, I agree with about S&W quality. I have an M&P9 and 686 SSR Pro Series that I had to return. Couldn't hit squat with the M&P, nor could anyone who tried it. They replaced the front sight with a lower one, but still wasn't great. I put a set of XS Big Dots on it and made all the difference in the world. Finally works like it should.

My 686 was erratic and I noticed some ring-shaped scratches in the forcing cone. I sent it back, and got a cryptic note back with it saying "replaced barrel, honed forcing cone."

I like S&W but won't buy another.
I spent a while with my M&P9 shooting low left and having fits. I was about ready to take a 5-lb hammer to it. Sent it back to Smith and got the front sights fixed. It's been great since.

The rest of my S&W's have been pretty good. Most of my purchases are older models, though.