GP100 Story

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

GP100 Story

Post by greener » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:25 am

For the believe it or don't file

In a BS session at the range yesterday, I mentioned I had brought my GP100. One of the participants then told the story of helping a friend remove the bullet protruding from the barrel and then discovering that there were 4 behind it.

No damage to the barrel or shooter.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:24 am

green, why in the world would you loan your GP100 to these azzclowns? :lol:
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:18 am

Had a bullet stick in the barrel of my P3AT on 2 different occasions but it did not go in far enough for the slide to got into battery with the fresh round. Got rid of that box of ammo and went on with life.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:02 pm

umm.... i think thats a tall tale. we've all had the "pop" instead of "BANG" and probably had to punch a stuck bullet from the bore before, but 4 stuck bullets in a barrel? I'm not buying that one for a dollar
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:25 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:umm.... i think thats a tall tale. we've all had the "pop" instead of "BANG" and probably had to punch a stuck bullet from the bore before, but 4 stuck bullets in a barrel? I'm not buying that one for a dollar
I would not touch that one withan 11 foot pole. :lol:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:53 pm

I've seen several revolvers with bullets stacked in the barrel. One in particular sits as a cut-away in the SF Police shooting range display case with six bullets stacked in the barrel. If I recall correctly there's a 3x5" index card underneath with handwriting on it that says, "Why we don't allow reloaded ammunition on this range."

I have a hard time believing there's no other damage. Typically when this happens the successive rounds bulge the barrel as the next bullets compress the trapped air in between.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Kaz: I didn't loan them my gun. Just a BS session. I did load the GP100 for a guy on the range after he was bragging about how good is 686 was. Did the same with my M17, it's terrible to watch a grown man drool over a hunk of metal. :lol:

Bullseye: My thought was the pressure would bulge the barrel. However, if the first round stuck then you could move the bullets down the barrel a bit. No sixth round in the gun and one was poking out of the barrel, according to the story. Seems like a bit of a stretch.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:58 pm

greener wrote:Kaz: I didn't loan them my gun. Just a BS session. I did load the GP100 for a guy on the range after he was bragging about how good is 686 was. Did the same with my M17, it's terrible to watch a grown man drool over a hunk of metal. :lol:

Bullseye: My thought was the pressure would bulge the barrel. However, if the first round stuck then you could move the bullets down the barrel a bit. No sixth round in the gun and one was poking out of the barrel, according to the story. Seems like a bit of a stretch.
That's a stretch all right damn near to the ultimate breaking point, eh????

greener

Post by greener » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:08 pm

snap

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:19 am

When this happens there's no getting them out of the barrel. I found this picture just to illustrate what I mean.

If you look closely at the last round you can see a slight bulge in the barrel at the air gap.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:20 am

Is this condition caused by just by under powered rounds, or are there other factors?

Bullseye, you mentioned you had seen several revolvers with bullets stacked in their barrels, are semi-autos not as prone to stacking?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:29 am

No, both can have stacking occur but with a semiauto pistol the slide often doesn't cycle the next round and that is a clue to the operator that something isn't right. With a revolver, the cylinder rotates and the successive bullets fire without much indication to the shooter something's amiss.

Underpowered rounds or a barrel obstruction are the main causes for this type of event. Things like case head separation can cause an obstructed barrel too, if the projectile fails to clear. It is always wise to inspect a barrel whenever an unusual even occurs just to be sure there is no possibility of an obstruction.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:01 am

Thanks for explaining Bullseye. I agree that any time the shot doesn't feel right, one should check the barrel. Fortunately, a squib has never occurred to any firearm I have used, but I imagine it's only a matter of time.

Can someone please explain what case head separation is?

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:11 am

WOW! What a chilling cut a way picture. I'll bet that this is something that could happen to almost all of us if we were shooting timed competition events where the focus is on a win where hundred's of seconds determine winning/losing. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:20 pm

Case head separation is where the brass casing fails and hot gasses are vented out of the chamber instead of down the barrel. It gets this name because when it happens the cartridge case head is usually blown off or nearly separated from the spent casing. This condition can come from an unsupported brass casing or by the case having a fatigue crack or other abnormality. In pistol this is bad with some damage but with rifles, the result is typically a very destructive event with the rifle receiver being severely blown apart. Typically called a "KaBoom" or "KB" buy shooter slang terms.

R,
Bullseye