S&W model 19-3

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

S&W model 19-3

Post by Tigerbeetle » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:20 pm

Been spending most my time since I found this forum over on the rimfire forum. But I got to thinking this afternoon that I know virtually nothing about a S&W Model 19-3 that I have had for 12 - 15 years (?). Quite a while anyway. It is a .357 and really shoots nice. .38s are a couple inches lower at 40-50 yards, but surprisingly I can generally keep them or .357s in the black. Had a target of Osama Bin whatshisface with several holes about his head a few years ago.

It had rosewood grips on it when I got it, which I put away so I wouldn't knick them and put a Pachmeyer grip on it.

All info greatly appreciated. :D
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

madcratebuilder

Post by madcratebuilder » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:31 am

The 19-3 is a fine revolver, P&R'ed K frame, one of my favorites.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

strength of fame

Post by Tigerbeetle » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:41 pm

Thanks for the opinion, Madcratebuilder. Now I know it is a K frame. At some point in time, I heard that it was either an N frame or a K frame that should not be used for +P loads because the frame was strong enough. Can you help out on that question?
Thanks, tb
By the way, what is P&R'd??
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

madcratebuilder

Re: strength of fame

Post by madcratebuilder » Wed May 07, 2008 8:26 am

Tigerbeetle wrote:Thanks for the opinion, Madcratebuilder. Now I know it is a K frame. At some point in time, I heard that it was either an N frame or a K frame that should not be used for +P loads because the frame was strong enough. Can you help out on that question?
Thanks, tb
By the way, what is P&R'd??
The K frame is considered a medium frame. I have read that folks have had forcing cone issues on the M19 when shooting 125gr bullets. Shooting 158gr .357 factory loads, or equal hand loads, should not be a problem. If you think your going to shoot a lot, look at the M27, that's an N (large) frame in .357mag. P&R means pinned and recessed. The barrel is pinned to the frame and the cylinder is recessed for the rim of the case. I have a M19 and a M27, both shoot well, with the M27 having less recoil (heavier)

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Thanks,...Again!

Post by Tigerbeetle » Wed May 07, 2008 8:45 am

I probably won't shoot the M-19 all that much. If I do get into it more, I will probably load 38s for a little more economical, less recoil shooting. I usually only carry it when I am deer hunting with heavy loads made to meet the state DNR F&G requirements. You never know when a big buck may walk right under your stand, or catch you with your rifle down.

I was sorting and cleaning gear last weekend and found the RCBS dies for the .357 that I got when I bought the gun. I'll have to ask my buddy if he ever used the dies and if they are already set up for the model N. I have a pacific press so I may have to get a new press, but it might be fun to load some shootable loads. I have saved most of my .357 brass over the years and probably have a couple hundred rounds or so. Maybe enough to get started in a small way. Have you any recommended loads you have used? I load for shotgun, 12 & 20 ga., and my .270, but have never loaded handgun.

Again, thanks for the info. TB
Tigerbeetle