Looking for a 2nd rifle?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Looking for a 2nd rifle?

Post by Hakaman » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:14 pm

Hi,
I joined a shooting club that gets involved with everything related to guns, rifles, shotguns, etc, etc, etc...........I am looking to do some rifle target shooting at about 100-400 yards. I have a Ruger 10/22 lr with a Tasco scope (sorta cheap, but works ok) I have shot at 100 "feet". I can make a tiny hole and keep em there, but will this gun keep up at 200 yards? I am looking to get another caliber rifle but don't have the experience to know what to get. I have had thoughts of a .223 rifle, and a friend has just purchased an M1 Garand. If you would, recommend to me a rifle and caliber that is of good quality, but not out of sight expensive.
Thank you, hakaman

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:50 am

A .22 rimfire is not your best choice for ranges over 100 yards.

Many of the .22 centerfires are scary accurate and would be fine at 200 yards and some of them further. .204 Ruger, .22 Hornet, .222, .223, .22-250 and others. All available in rifles from the most basic Savage to the high-end Weatherbys and Sakos.

Out past 200 yards, I'd be leaning towards a .30 caliber class weapon. .308 and .30-06 are the classics, as well as their metric equivalents. I'm a little out of my area of knowledge on specifics here, but I'm sure someone else will jump in.

Personally, I've always had the hots for a .22-250 like my Dad had. Downside is, the nearest place to shoot over 100 yards is an hour and a half away...
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:18 am

My first question is - What type of rifle target shooting do you intended to participate in at your range? Service rifle, bolt F-Class, silhouettes, just paper targets, etc.

It this an organized competition or just a bunch of folks getting together and poking holes in targets?

R,
Bullseye

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:07 pm

If you want to start on the low side and build up...

http://www.savagearms.com/st_200short.htm

(comes in .308, too)

the stock, trigger and barrel can all be swapped-out
as your skills mature...

good luck -- toy

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:39 pm

Mainly target shooting, and fun competition. Maybe some deer hunting as weel.
Haka
Last edited by Hakaman on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:08 pm

Ummm, this wasn't the 2nd rifle I was planning on getting, but I couldn't pass it up. I paid $100 for this Russian Mosin-Nagant. Believe it or not, with all the history this gun has, it can be bought locally for less then $100. I bought this off a friend who is extremely picky about his guns, and in this case, about matching serial #'s of all it's parts. This gun is in excellent condition. I bought it mostly for display, but in a pinch, I'll get the bayonet out after an intruder ! I have shot my friends (but not this one) and it does offer some kick upon firing. You folks didn't think I would wait too long before purchasing, did you??? I can always blame Henry for this one anyway. Check ou the pix:
Last edited by Hakaman on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:39 am

Very nice looking rifle. I can see some of the base features in that rifle that must have influenced Mikail Kalashnikov when he designed the AK in 1947.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:21 pm

Well,
I didn't consider the Russian Mosin-Nagant to be my 2nd rifle. I just consider it an addition to my small collection, without a specific placing. I now have my true 2nd rifle on order:
http://www.savagearms.com/12Varminter.htm
This seems to be a rifle that will serve a couple purposes for me. Mainly target shooting (the 243 is suppose to be very accurate), and for possible hunting (enough energy to take a deer). It's suppose to have good bench tendencies(balance), and should match my Ruger in styling, it has a fluted barrel. I would like to add a scope to it, and please feel free to make a suggestion in regards to a scope to buy.
thanks, haka

Athena

Post by Athena » Mon May 04, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi Hakaman , Great looking rifle & price!!! I have been using Burris scopes for years. The optics are wonderful. I currently own three. They are on my 204Ruger, 308Ruger & my Ruger mini 30. I also have the Burris fastfire red dot site. I had one problem with one scope. It came with a used rifle. So I was not even the original owner & they fixed the problem free. All I paid was shipping it to them. IMHO they make a useful product. Best of all they offer a no hassle lifetime guarantee. This one here would make a very good scope for up to even 600yds. Yes they are pricey but, you get what you pay for.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/blackdiamond1.html#8x32x

Good hunting.

Best,

Athena

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon May 04, 2009 7:20 pm

Thanks Athena,
I finally purchased a Leupold 4.5x14x for a new rifle I purchased.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... pe_w_.html
I took it to the range and sighted it in, I like the scope. The Burris looks very interesting, and a good buy.
Thanks, Haka

Hi Ball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hi Ball » Sun May 31, 2009 11:45 am

Hakaman ..........I have a Savage 12, in the .204 caliber and liked it sooo much, I went back and picked up a .243 just for grins. I also picked up a new 25/06 in the Ruger heavy barrel.

The Savage rifles have one of the best (made the old school way) and most accurate barrels in the industry today. Go have Fun!

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun May 31, 2009 8:01 pm

Hakaman ..........
The Savage rifles have one of the best (made the old school way) and most accurate barrels in the industry today. Go have Fun!
Hi Ball,
that's what I hear from a lot of people inre of the accuracy. I don't have a great deal of rifle experience, but this rifle feels and shoots great. The quality seems top notch as well. I have shot it twice now, and have had great fun with it. I'm going to post a picture of it soon to show the set I have. I also shot the Mosin Nagant (pictured in this thread), and I must admit, I was a little nervous shooting such an old gun. Although, it shot great without any negative experiences, except when I tried some yugoslavian ammo in it. The ammo was steel cased and would not eject. It actually took quite a bit of force to operate the bolt to eject the spent round. I attribute this to the type of ammo. I only paid $8.95 for 20 rounds of it. I tried some Lelleir & Bellot ammo, and the rifle operated perfectly. It is interesting the history of this rifle, and how inexpensive it is to buy.
Glad to hear you are enjoying you rifles as well, thanks,
Haka

Hi Ball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hi Ball » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:35 am

Hakaman........Now for great little target rifle, that has a history of shooting very accurately right of the box, I would go either with the Savage brand rifle in a model 12 or the CZ rifle in the model American.

Now the caliber of choice would be either the .222 Remington, (300 yard range) which held bench rest records for years and mine shoots under a 1/2 group 24/7. Then there is the .223 caliber which will let you shoot out to 450 yards at targets.