An Uncle Gave Me This Old Rifle.....

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

An Uncle Gave Me This Old Rifle.....

Post by Jack D » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:03 pm

....in the early to mid 1960's. It had been "sporterized" by Christies Gun Works. My uncle said it was a 6.5 Jap from WWII. Christies had rechambered it to .257 Roberts, thus a 6.5mm x .257 Roberts. The stock was a modified (sporterized) military and UGLY. The bolt handle stuck straight out to the side, making a scope mount (over the bore) impossible.

Being a nut and a hobbiest, I ordered a 6.5 Jap stock from Bishop (I think) or perhaps it was Fajen.....can't remember. When the stock came in, to my complete surprise, it didn't fit. Completely wrong. I called Bishop (I think) and they told me to send it back and send them the rifle along with it. When it came back I had a new blank stamped 6.5 Jap/Carcano.

Japanese and Italian????? It's still a mystery to me. The Japanese rifles of WWII were poorly made, but this was well made. Did the Italians make it for the Japanese? Or did the Japanese make it using Italian design? The original calibre was 6.5mm Japanese.

Anyway, I went to work on the new stock blank and soon had it finished. I cut the bolt handle off and welded on a new handle and curved it so I could mount a scope. I cut the barrel off to 18" and crowned it. Re-mounted the ramp sight (Christies had mounted the rear sight). I hunted with that rifle for several years, then found a chunk of wood that looked like great stock material. In the mid 1970's, I scrapped the Bishop (I think) stock and made the stock pictured here from that chunk of maple. I made the snobble and polished it and polished the magazine floor plate, polished the magazine follower. Added a trigger shoe.

This rifle has been through hell and back. My oldest son owns it now and between myself and him it has killed more than its share of deer and tin cans.

Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:33 pm

You did great work on that one Jack.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:12 pm

bearandoldman wrote:You did great work on that one Jack.
Thanks Bear...uh....old man. Actually the pic's do it too much justice. Although it doesn't look too bad from a distance, up close it looks like a hobbiest job, mostly around the in-letting. Still, overall, I'm happy with it. Since its a Mannlicher style action, I gave it a Mannlicher stock treatment (full length with snobble). Nice shooter and completely functional.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:19 pm

Jack D wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:You did great work on that one Jack.
Thanks Bear...uh....old man. Actually the pic's do it too much justice. Although it doesn't look too bad from a distance, up close it looks like a hobbiest job, mostly around the in-letting. Still, overall, I'm happy with it. Since its a Mannlicher style action, I gave it a Mannlicher stock treatment (full length with snobble). Nice shooter and completely functional.
Jack, you built the gun and you are pleased with it and that is the main guy to please. Make them look at it from a distance and if they don't like it thy can leave. Drove into 7-11 for coffee and a young guy behind made a remark bout my driving, I just told him there are a lot of roads in this county maybe he should us a different one then I do. If II hurt his feeling is was fully intended to do that.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:31 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:47 pm

Well I'm no expert on Japanese rifles, even though I have my own Arisaka Type 99 war trophy rifle with the anti-aircraft sights. Yours is a 6.5 Type 1 and was made by the Italians to meet the demands of the Japanese in WWII for firearms after they invaded China. Italy, Germany, and Japan signed an tri-axis agreement and started cooperating with each other on military technology, hence the build of the Type 1 rifle by Italy for Japan. Here's a few references for you to look at:
http://members.shaw.ca/nambuworld/typeipix.htm
http://www.chuckhawks.com/arisaka_sporter.htm
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... 114283920/

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:29 am

Great stock work, Jack! I have to say, that rifle has a serious "cool" factor to it.