Any H&R owners?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Any H&R owners?

Post by Downeaster » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:08 am

I've been sort of casually looking for a rifle in .45LC to go with my Blackhawk. While I'd love to have a Henry Big Boy, the ol' budget just ain't gonna go there.

I came across some info on the Harrington & Richardson "Buffalo Classic" in .45LC which is much more in my price range. Looks interesting and I'm seriously considering saving up my shekels for one.

The only negative comment I've found is that trigger quality is...ummm..."variable" and the bad ones are really horrible. Same source says his gunsmith says there's not much to be done about it. Recommendation was that I "try before I buy".

Seeing as both shops I deal with will have to special order the gun, I can't see that happening.

Input?
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:33 am

I have not personally seen one of these "cowboy" guns. (BTW, I added the pic into your post to help others who may want to see one) Like a lot of things, you have to find someone who specializes in tuning this type of firearm. Since this is a reproduction of an 1850's model, I'll bet that there's someone out there who can do a proper trigger job on one. You may have to look, and inquire, at some of the cowboy action shooting forums for a good smith who'll be capable of tweaking this rifle if you decide to get one.

R,
Bullseye

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

H&R

Post by arizona-hermit » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:35 pm

Those H&R rifles are very reliable, sturdy, no nonsense weapons. The no frills is attractive to those on a tighter budget or those of us that simply enjoy a 'bang around' gun that easily survives living in the pick-up, falling into a mud puddle, lake, gravel pit, random gorge or whatever... and still keep on running as it was meant to.

While they are nowhere near the quality of say a TC Encore rifle, they do serve a purpose and serve it well.

True, without some work (or a lucky manufacturing day), the sights and trigger may be in need of some serious tweaking, I have owned several of the H&Rs and found them all to be quite useful.

If you are going to want one for competition, I would recommend buying one that has already been tweaked, but if you are buying one simply as a companion to a same chambered revolver... the stock rifles are just fine.

My .02 worth... Others may well have other opinions / experiences.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

300savage99

Post by 300savage99 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:44 pm

I currently have one ibn 450 Marlin. If I do my part ity will one hole at 100 yds . But, you have to rest on the receiver other4wise you vget large vertical grouips.

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

H&R

Post by Pete D. » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:01 am

I have owned a "Handi-Rifle" chambered in 45-70 for a couple of decades. It is a reliable, strong, shooter. The trigger on mine is fine.
I put an NEGC aperture rear sight on it and was good to go.
Pete

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:09 pm

My son has one with a .22 Hornet barrel and a 20ga shotgun barrel. It shoots pretty good and has served him very well around the farm.

An old friend once had one in .58 caliber black powder, it had a screw-in breech plug with a cap nipple in the middle. That thing was a barrel of fun, and the recoil was reasonable if you didn't overload it.

Somebody ought to market a set trigger for the H&R's.

scratchmark

Post by scratchmark » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:57 pm

i love these guns. i own several and plan on getting more. ive got the cowboy classic and its a blast to shoot. next is the 35 whelen :lol:

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:08 pm

While researching before I bought mine, I found this site.
http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/nef.html

It explains the trigger workings and how to improve it. Also, I've learned that H&R will do a free trigger job (or at least they did at one time) that gets the trigger pull down to 3-4#.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.