Marlin 1894 357= Great Fun!

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Marlin 1894 357= Great Fun!

Post by KAZ » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:15 pm

Most of you know that bearandoldman lured a bunch of us into the joys of the Lever Action with the great HENRY rim fires. Now, I still love my HENRY 22, but when I found out that these lever guns were being offered in 357/38 I had to see what they were about. This carbine is 6 lbs and 18" barrel which makes for a super handy all round rifle. Add to the equation that if one reloads it is inexpensive to shoot. I received this one yesterday morning,did a clean/lube and mounted a small red dot, and headed to the range. We had a nice clear 75 degree day and after a 50 yd zero were making off hand 120 yd shots at rocks on a berm. Everyone(3 of us) who shot was shocked at the ability to hit the rocks offhand, and wanted to borrow it for the afternoon hunt 8)
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:34 pm

OK, KAZ, rub it in with the 75 degree stuff, cloudy drizzly and almost 50 here. My shooting will be minimal until Spring gets her and that is a long way off yet. That lever in .38/.357 or .45LC sounds great and would love t have one myself. Got some soft shooting loads for my 50th Anny Blackhawk that would be great shot range loads. 148 grain full wad cutter and 3..5 grains of Green Do. I won/bid a K 4 Weaver on ebay yesterday for Remona, Henry likes the K2.5
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:29 pm

Well, you sticking that nice K4 on Henrygave me the idea to use this Burris 1.5X5 that I wasn't using on this little lever gun. The red dot was fun, but now I'll be able to see what 357 loads work best. I was pleased to discover an 8 lb cannister of 2400, and I'm going to start with 12.5 gr on a 158 gr XTP and work up from there. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:19 pm

KAZ wrote:Well, you sticking that nice K4 on Henrygave me the idea to use this Burris 1.5X5 that I wasn't using on this little lever gun. The red dot was fun, but now I'll be able to see what 357 loads work best. I was pleased to discover an 8 lb cannister of 2400, and I'm going to start with 12.5 gr on a 158 gr XTP and work up from there. Regards
Sounds like a good moderate load my light loads in the pistol probably would just fall out of the end of the barrel.
The scope that came on Mose was the old K2.5 Weaver that Henry now wears. Liked it so well I saw a K4 on Eba and got is shipped for less than 30 bucks without rings, but I do have an extra set in the work room. I swap scopes a lot and have my own bore sighter that I have tweaked a little and after a scope swap, 5 rounds will get you totally zeroed.

bearandoldman

Re: Marlin 1894 357= Great Fun!

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:55 pm

KAZ wrote:Most of you know that bearandoldman lured a bunch of us into the joys of the Lever Action with the great HENRY rim fires. Now, I still love my HENRY 22, but when I found out that these lever guns were being offered in 357/38 I had to see what they were about. This carbine is 6 lbs and 18" barrel which makes for a super handy all round rifle. Add to the equation that if one reloads it is inexpensive to shoot. I received this one yesterday morning,did a clean/lube and mounted a small red dot, and headed to the range. 8)
Now ya damn done and did it and I got to have one also. Stopped at the local pawn shop, have never been ther before and he has a almost new looking Marlin 1894C, the mate to yours, ha wants 300 buck, is that good or bad?
Last edited by bearandoldman on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:33 pm

That is a killer deal! You could buy it and sell it for $400 + shipping on the Marlin Owners Forum. they are $525 new. Those are much in demand for Cowboy shooting. They like the blue better than the stainless for the LOOK they like. My dealer tried to find me one for over a week with no success. They will shoot both 357 & 38, but the Cowboy Match people shoot 38s because I understand they will hold 10 rounds of 38 as opposed to 9 for 357.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:11 pm

Those guns are beauties. I'll have to keep my eye open for a lever action, I'm probably the only one here on this forum that doesn't have one. OM has talked everybody else into getting one.
H

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:18 pm

I'm really wanting to shoot cast bullets in this rifle(and my pistol) and I haven't been shooting cast for years, and the last time was 45 ACP over 6 gr Unique. I will be shooting at steel targets for the most part. Right now I'm trying Dardas 158 gr cast RNFP over 12.5 gr of 2400. I did a 20 round load work up test and had no leading. Now I've got 40 rds to try next nice day. bearandoldman is working at it as well and I'll bet we come up with something. These rifles are sweet with the 38/357. Almost as much fun as our rimfires 8) Regards

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:25 pm

Mr Kaz, I reload 38sp, I think it would be cool to have a rifle in 38/357. Rifle loads are hotter then hg loads?
Haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:44 pm

Hakaman wrote:Mr Kaz, I reload 38sp, I think it would be cool to have a rifle in 38/357. Rifle loads are hotter then hg loads?

Haka
Buy one, although they are not easy to find the cowboy shooter hav snapped most of them up, Good thing I got licky and found a used one, my dealer check 3 distributors to find me a new one but none to be had.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:53 pm

Somehow, you haven't been successful at convincing me to buy a lever action rifle yet. Close, but no ceegar.
H

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:00 pm

Hakaman wrote:Somehow, you haven't been successful at convincing me to buy a lever action rifle yet. Close, but no ceegar.
H
Maybe Santa will be good to you, have you been Good????????

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:10 pm

Maybe Santa will be good to you, have you been Good????????
Sure have, at least 25% of the time I have. Don't ask about the other 75%.
H

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:32 pm

H, as you know the 18" barrel will give the same load more punch, so I'm inclined to use the same rounds in both. We were shooting at a rock on the side of a berm off hand at 120 yds(has a big hill behind it) that we shoot at all the time with our 22s and the 357 pulverized it. It is going to do well on my steel targets. Regards

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:53 pm

Thanks Kaz, good info. I like the 38 special load. I am starting to get ideas in my mind, like, "I think I need another rifle".
haka