Kimber 8400 L.A. Police Tactical In .300 Win. Mag.

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

billt

Kimber 8400 L.A. Police Tactical In .300 Win. Mag.

Post by billt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:55 pm

I just finished setting this one up. It's a Kimber 8400 L.A. Police Tactical Model in .300 Winchester Magnum. It comes with a 20 MOA rail mounted. I chose another Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5-15X scope because I've had such good luck with them on all of my other rifles. Rings are Leupold Mark IV Steel Tactical. They lapped right in nicely.

I've had it to the range just to sight it in and to check functionability. With cheap Federal "Power Shock" ammo it grouped well under an inch. The gun comes from the factory with a trued up bolt face and hand lapped lugs. The stock is glass bedded, and it has a match barrel and chamber with a 1 in 10" twist. As soon as I get some custom tailored handloads for it, I'll give it a real wringing out. I just can't seem to get enough of the .300 Win. Mag. It's an excellent caliber! Bill T.

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:07 am

Nothing wrong w/ that one. Hows the recoil ?

billt

Post by billt » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:06 am

Mr. Nail wrote:Nothing wrong w/ that one. Hows the recoil ?
It is actually quite mild because of the guns heavy weight. Naked it weighs in at 9.9 pounds. Add on a scope and steel rings and it comes in right around 12 pounds, give or take a few ounces. Actual felt recoil off the bench is less than some .30-06 and .308 sporters I own. The stock itself is very well designed, and that helps as well. Bill T.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:10 pm

A while back I had a young gent bring a McMillan .300 Win Mag rifle to the range. The first time he shot it he got a "scope kiss" from crowding the eye piece too close. The recoil was much more than he anticipated and he had a nice inverted smiley face cut above his right eyebrow. I don't believe he had a nice day after that.

R,
Bullseye

billt

Post by billt » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:55 pm

Scope placement is critical on hard recoiling Magnum rifles. This one I set back a little farther than normal because the gun is heavy enough to curb any violent movement. Normally on a .300 Win. Mag. sporter I won't set the rear eyepiece back any farther than the trigger guard. Bill T.

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:17 pm

A black eye often comes from not locking your head in and letting your entire body recoil w/ the gun also. In most cases if your field of sight is completly open your eye placment is o. k.. I never laugh at guys when this happens . Not until they laugh anyway. I've seen it a dozen times w/ blackpowder rifles.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:32 am

Bullseye

Wouldn't that be a frown instead of a smiley face...lol

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Why yes it would, but isn't a frown nothing but a smile turned upside down? :D

R,