Death Gun?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Death Gun?

Post by greener » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:36 pm

Quite a flap over the Remington model 700. Any validity?

http://www.popfi.com/2010/10/21/the-rem ... ath-rifle/

If I were going to buy a .30 cal range centerfire bolt action rifle, the 700 would be high on my list of choices.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:17 pm

I've shot a few rem 700's and never had that happen, or have heard of it sounds like negligent handleing. I have seen it with a 22 rifle that had been "home smithed" surprised the heck iut of my partner wwhen he opened the bolt to clear it and "KAPOW" :shock: IT WAS GOOD IT WAS IN A SAFE DIRECTION

greener

Post by greener » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:12 pm

I've slammed a bolt home on an Anschutz and had it fire. I've fired a couple of 700's. Loved them.

Remington is mounting a strong response

http://www.remington700.tv/#/home

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:41 pm

I owned one in the past and thought it was a fine rifle. BTW this is the same action the Army MMU at Ft Benning use as well as the basis for the Army's m-24 sniper rifle

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:10 pm

I still own a 700BDL in Rem 7mm Mag (small cannon). I bought this gun back in the 70's, is equipped with a Leupold VXIII 2.5x10 scope. This was a tack driver right out of the box and the most accurate rifle I own. It will produce 1 ragged hole at 100rds, using my reloads. The gun is sighted in for 250 yrds, not very many places around here to shoot at that distance. It has never showed any indication of problems. I shot it last month to see if my bad back could handle the recoil, 1 shot was enough :shock: . This was the first time I have fired this gun in 20+yrs. When I first got it out my neighbor was admiring the beautify walnut stock. :)
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:12 pm

I love the 700 and over the years have owned several. I'm down to one that has the 40X target trigger. About thirty years ago I bought a used one that had the trigger "adjusted" by a non gunsmith. The trigger was light and crisp and I did the "test" by holding the empty rifle in a safe direction and slamming the bolt home, dropping the rifle butt down on the floor and it passed the test. My Son(a teenager at the time) took it deer hunting and I heard him shoot, and went over to see what he had shot. He said that it had gone off when he chambered a round and he was really glad that he had it pointing in a safe direction. I traded him my rifle(another 700) and tried to make it fail for me at camp. I had just about decided that he must have had his finger in the trigger guard(hard to do with a right hander also working the bolt) when it did fail for me. I took it to an authorized Remington Gun Smith and he said that "bubba" had created an unsafe trigger, and put me in a new one. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:18 am

Two statements in that article cast doubts for me, the one about being the most popular rifle in the world and the survey was conducted by CNBC. Most popular means there's a higher chance of incidents but does that mean the overall percentage is higher for that model than any of the others? CNBC is not a neutral observer, NBC in general is very anti-gun. The company has said that they cannot duplicate the plaintiff's claims. Perhaps another contestant trying to win the "Lawsuit Lotto".

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:09 am

Remington says they can't reproduce the problems; some of the in the '40's and '50's are interesting since they started manufacture and sales in 1962. They cite one of the "insiders" as never working in the firearms plant. He worked in the ammunition plant.

Sounds like a nice push to regulate firearms from the product safety viewpoint.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Anything the liberal media can do to paint guns 'Bad' they will do, even if it involves untruth, partial truth, or just plain BS. They would never explain on-air that maybe there is some other reason for the issues. Any time they can give guns bad press , they will push it, and push it hard. A ton of small rocks is just as heavy as one large boulder. They will keep chipping away and 2nd ammendment issues in any way they can. I think this Remington thing is sort of a Trojan Horse in a way. It looks like news to the general public, but is basically another way to say "guns are bad".

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Utter nonsense.... I've competed for years in high power rifle silhouette with a Remington 700 in .260 Remington. I've fired hundreds of rounds through the rifle with nary a mishap or misfire or accidental discharge.... others more experienced than me have fired thousands of rounds through their 700s. It is one of the most popular, prevalent rifles on the line, and I think "journalism" like this, politically correct journalism, is one of the greatest dangers we face.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Of all the rounds that went through my 700 the only time it went off is when I pulled the trigger. Never say media and truth in the same sentence, it's bad karma.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:07 pm

I just happened across the CNBC piece on the 700. They even interviewed the model 700 inventor who lives in North Carolina. It appears Remington had a number of complaints about the gun going off when the safety is switched on. One of the sad pieces was a 9-year old who was killed when his dad switched the safety on a 700. Although the inventor suggested a number of changes in the safety and put in a QC program to prevent problems caused by improperly manufactured parts, CNBC couldn't get him to say the gun was unsafe. He used "mishandled the firearm" when asked about the people who were injured. Sad that people have been injured or killed from discharges from the rifle, buy why are loaded guns pointed at yourself of people?

CNBC made a big deal about the 10 Commandments of Firearms Safety used by Remington. They thought such ideas as pointing the muzzle in a safe direction, loaded only when used and never trusting the safety was Remington avoiding the problem. Don't know what the real story is, but CNBC is really putting out a propaganda piece.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I had an AD with a 700 ADL in 30-06 back around 1985 or so. I was out hunting with my son and it was getting late. Once I decided it was getting too dark to shoot safely, we called it a day and headed for my truck. By the time we arrived at the truck in was indeed dark. It was a really cold evening and I had on a heavy jacket and an orange vest. I opened the door of the truck so the interior light would allow me to see what I was doing a bit better. I moved the safety to the fire position so I could unload the gun, opened the bolt and ejected the first round. When I closed the bolt the gun discharged. As u might guess it startled the bejeezes out of me. I finished emptying the gun and after that day I have tried hundreds of times to get that rifle to AD again. Not one time has that ever happened since that day and I still have that rifle. After giving it considerable thought, I suspect that what happened was that a fold or bulge in the heavy clothing I was wearing pressed against the trigger as I worked the bolt.

Y