Garand Education

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Garand Education

Post by greener » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:44 am

Spent some fun time yesterday learning about M1 Garands. My brother-in-law came by with one he was thinking about buying and wanted to get an estimate of the price. The rifle wasn't in bad shape. Stock was good but a few dings. Action was Springfield Arms, safety was Winchester, barrel was Blue Sky. My major embarrassment was that a tight trigger group made me think I didn't remember how to field strip one.

Took it to my favorite gun shop to see if they could give an evaluation. Learned that it probably was an import (Korea or Israel?), rebarrelled in '54 and a little wear on the bore at the muzzle from cleaning. The counter guy told us all that was wrong with it but kept saying "but it's a Garand." Seems that the M1 lovers get a bit weak in the knees around one.

I knew the Garand collectors had a love for the rifle. It was fun watching a collector talk about one.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:17 am

I know what you mean. I took my old M-1 (.308) match gun out of the safe last year for the first time in a long time and won a match with it. It was like getting reacquainted with an old long lost friend. Nothing fits me better for off-hand and prone slow fire like the old Garand.

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:43 pm

Before buying a possibly not-so-great Garand, make sure you consider the CMP, they have Garand experts re-building the old surplus guns.