m44 and sks

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

M60FMJ

m44 and sks

Post by M60FMJ » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:07 pm

my bro has a sks and is wondering wat is a good red dot sight for it and my dad is also wondering can u somehow tap a sidemount scope on a m44

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:29 am

Your dad can get a Havlin mount drilled and tapped onto his Mossberg 44. http://www.havlinsales.com/22rifle.htm (scroll down the page to see the mount).

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:45 am

I think he's talking about a Mosin-Nagant M44, boss
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin-Nagant

I don't know if a side-mount can be mounted well, but I've seen a lot of bad mounts on such rifles. The gun wasn't designed to take a scope, it was designed to be a perfectly good battle rifle with the installed sights ... trying to turn it into something it is not will just get you a kludge, and might affect reliability or ease-of-use. Adding in the thought that a MN rifle is extremely inexpensive in the first place, you'd have more money tied up in the mount and optic than the gun was worth, for dubious benefit.

Skip the red-dot on the SKS as well, a rear aperture from Tech-Sights will cost less, hold zero, be more durable, and actually work. Don't go with a dustcover mount, at least, that part moves around every time you light off a round, mounting an optic to it is just foolish. There are decent scout mounts that go on the gas tube, but they're pricey and may not hold zero when you remove that part for cleaning.

M60FMJ

Post by M60FMJ » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:52 am

thx guys, he has a wood stock sks made in china no fiberglass,and i will take that advice on no reddot.my dad purchased the m44 for hunting deer hes shot 2 with iron sights, he lost a eye one day and was wondering wat kinda scope wud help his odds.
dropped on request 1/7/12

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:07 pm

there are some scope mounts that replace the rear sight for bothe the mosin and the SKS. if you put a red dot on that mount it would work nicely
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

M60FMJ

Post by M60FMJ » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:07 pm

thx green i will prob go with that. btw we are going with just iron sights on the sks
dropped on request 1/7/12