Schmidt Rubin Swiss rifle

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

boltbusterdw

Schmidt Rubin Swiss rifle

Post by boltbusterdw » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:36 pm

A friend of the family gave me a Scmidt Rubin straight pull model 1911 that he picked up years ago at a gun shop. It's a Swiss military rifle that has been sporterized. All the serial #'s match on the parts, even the stock. I've had if for about a year, but I finally found a magazine that it was missing from a Swiss gun forum dude. I plan on turning it into a tack driving deer rifle.

These guns are known for their superb workmanship and accuracy. Here she is all torn apart. The bolt pulls straight back and the locking lugs are rotated by a cam follower built into the receiver. Unreal how they made these back in 1913! If this gun were built today I bet they would cost upwards of $3000.

The bore is in excellent shape.

Some of these guns were rechambered in the 60's for .308.
7.5x55 seems to fit perfect :-), and it's more powerful round. 7.5x55 ammo won't fit in a .308 chamber. Strange how there is no markings on the gun to designate what it is chambered for.

And NO, the firing pin was not in the bolt in that last pic!
I cut the back stock off enough to accommodate a recoil pad. Took about 6 inches off of the forearm and then striped the stock. Also cut the barrel back to 25".

After stripping and initial sanding.

I plan on making a cover plate/mount to slide over the original rear sight mount to accommodate a Williams peep sight. Beadblast the receiver and reblue it to a matte finish, along with polishing the internals. I did the same to my Kel Tech 9mm and I like the way it turned out. The finish looks better in person than the pics show, a friend of mine does black oxide for a living and he usually does extra special work for beer :-)

The 7.5x55 round should be as or more powerful as a 30'06 coming out of the 25" barrel. I plan on bringing this beast deer hunting next year. It will be an interesting gun to show off. Not to mention my new hunting knife!

Last edited by boltbusterdw on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Finally, an easy way to cut bolts!

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:15 am

:welcome

Old guns and old coins are so interesting, knowing how they can "travel" over time. Like a 1913 Swiss rifle ending up in this country. You can't help but wonder about all the people that held it, what was targeted, where else it has been.

Looks like you'll really have a rifle to be proud of.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

boltbusterdw

Post by boltbusterdw » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:50 am

According to the research I've done on these guns they were capable of MOA shots at 1000 yards. Every Swiss male was required to enter the military back and then and afterwards required to keep their weapons for civilian defense. No liberal thinking over there back in the day :-) Maybe that's why they have always been a neutral country :P
Over on the Swiss rifle forum they are a very collectable gun to restore and shoot, but since this gun was previously hacked on and missing the sights and clip, I figured I'd finish the transformation to a "sporter" Trying to keep the $ spent to a minimum on it. Clip cost me $45 +$30 shipping from Switzerland. $20 for the recoil pad. $60 for a Williams peep sight and front sight blade.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:03 pm

I owned one of these in full military dress, some years ago. It was a great shooter and the quality of the workmanship there was readily apparent.

Good luck on your project, it looks like a very good idea, to me.

Maybe you can show us some pics as you get it together.

boltbusterdw

Post by boltbusterdw » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Well I got my sights in. I made a mounting plate to slide over the existing rear sight pad. I plan on setscrewing it to the barrel.
bottom:

from above:

Crowned the barrel and ready to mount the front sight.

Awaiting taps now. I need to figure out how deep I can drill and tap the barrel next.

boltbusterdw

Post by boltbusterdw » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:11 am

Rear peep mounted. The gun had no caliber markings or model # on it. I decided to engrave it on the mount so at least the next owner will have a clue as to the gun and the caliber!

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:17 am

bolt, I am impressed with your skills and setup and am very proud of you for tackling this project, you won't be disappointed with the accuracy and dependability of this rifle. I have a number of Swiss, including a circa 1899 long rifle that's still as accurate as all get out, so I sportarized one of the later version K31s for a hunting rifle but I love reloading and shooting all of them (did refinsh them all because I don't like cruddy things but I am anal).

Below are two options I've utilized, an aftermarket diopter set and a side mount/scope which allows me to shoot comfortably with my left eye since my right/shooting eye has become tired due to 57 long years of hard use :roll:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0703/ ... %20Rifles/