m-1 carbine out of control

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

derree

m-1 carbine out of control

Post by derree » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Recently while target shooting with my 30 cal military m-1 carbine with a 15 round magazine, the carbine went into an uncontrollable full auto in the last 5 or 6 rounds until the magzine was empty. Needless to say, the rifle has been grounded until a repair has been made. What could have possibly caused this to happen?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:45 pm

A worn sear/hammer engagement.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:51 am

The sear and hammer would be the first place to look.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:06 pm

a full Auto m1 carbine would be a riot to shoot though........
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:20 pm

sure, if it was predictable or controllable

a nasty surprise when it is neither

My similar experience was a cracked sear pin in a mkIII ... it started with "that sounded odd" and got really interesting with "wow, I thought I had a full magazine in there". The echoes of shooting indoors masked the multiple shots, I might have been wearing doubles that day as well. Doubles and triples a couple times a magazine, but not controllable or predictable ... thus no fun at all. I wouldn't try to replicate the "problem" even without the laws prohibiting it, the pin could have failed at any time while flexing like that, I think the force of the little bitty mkIII bolt slamming shut was jarring it and the hammer apart just enough to make things interesting.

Unfortunately, the M1 carbine isn't in warranty service, I don't think Inland (or whoever) is answering the phones ... although the CMP is in some cases, if it came from them.

With my adventure, Ruger sent out parts FAST after my polite phone call.
me: "Yes, sir, I'm having interesting malfunctions with my mkIII and I think it is a cracked sear pin, part number {whatever} causing it"
Ruger CS: " ... ummmmm, let me ask my boss something ... ... ... sir, I'll have the pin in the mail by close of business today, if you're comfortable replacing it ... and please don't shoot the gun until you do, if possible"

Warms the cockles of my black heart to recall the whispering in the background getting more worried and frantic over 15-30 seconds ... I should have recorded that call

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:28 am

bgreenea3 wrote:a full Auto m1 carbine would be a riot to shoot though........
The timing is fortuitous. The Wednesday night NRA show on the outdoor channel just had a piece on the full auto version of the US 30 Carbine. One of the regular speakers (I think he's one of the NRA museum curators) said it was the most uncontrollable full auto he ever shot. Probably due to the lightweight? I have no experience shooting one so have to rely on the experience of one who has.

His comment surprised me. The 30 carbine was an underpowered rifle cartridge and I would not have expected control to be that difficult. He did mention the rate of fire was too high at 800-900 rpm and you could only get a short burst before emptying the mag.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington