What Rifle for an Unertl 10x Scope?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

What Rifle for an Unertl 10x Scope?

Post by charlesb » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:11 pm

I went to an estate sale today, and on impulse, purchased a 1" Unertl target scope in 10x.

It appears to be in good shape and has a second eyepiece, one eyepiece is slightly longer than the other, the short one is 13x and the long one is 10x. It has lens caps, and even lens caps for the extra eyepiece. The spring is optional, and this scope has the adjuster for the spring, but no spring.

What would be a good rifle to go with this target scope? - I keep envisioning an 1885 Winchester high/low wall - but that's the problem. I am generally ignorant about this kind of scope, or what kind of rifle it would go with.

I'd appreciate any suggestions from more knowledgeable shooters. - Both about rifles and cartridges.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:41 pm

it would look cool on the wncheter or on an old Sharps.....
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:01 pm

-John Wayne

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:36 pm

I think I'll try for a single-shot. The last batch that Winchester offered included the .222 Rem chambering.

They are pricey though, when you can find one. I may have to sell something else, to do that.

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:25 pm

a nice Winchester 52 target rifle...

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:05 am

I took a look at the Winchester model 52's... A good one costs about the same as a new Winchester model 1885. - Pricey but nice!

I'm starting to wonder if I might be better off selling the Unertl scope, but I've not given up yet.

I found a nice Browning 1885 single-shot the other day, but it was in .270 caliber and I was wanting something smaller. - 222 Remington, or maybe .223.

CZ makes a mini-Mauser with a heavy barrel that is available in several of the cartridges that I am interested in. I owned one of those a few years ago, and they're not bad. The single-set trigger has a certain appeal.

Whatever I get, I'll probably have to roll my own target blocks.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue May 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Now I'm looking at the Savage .22lr varmint/target rifle, the Mark II BTVS. - I already have two Savages with the laminated thumb-hole stock, heavy barrel and accu-trigger - and do good work with that combination at the range.

The two that I have, a .17HMR and a .243 Winchester are both gratifyingly accurate so I am thinking of taking a chance on the Mark II, which will mainly differ from the two Savages that I already own by being blued instead of stainless-steel.

Now that I've moved away from the coast and up into the high desert, stainless steel is not the "must" that it used to be.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:50 am

I have a savage mkII G I like it very much and has been quite an accurate rifle for me.

-John Wayne