.30-30 lever action choices?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

.30-30 lever action choices?

Post by Downeaster » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:01 am

A friend wants a .30-30 Lever. He's narrowed his choices to a Henry Big Boy, Marlin 336C or a Rossi. He asked me for advice and I just don't have the experience to help him in any significant way.

T'was me, I'd fork over the cash for the Henry just based on my experience with my Big Boy in .45LC. He would, but there's a significant price difference.

If he were going used (he's not) I'd tell him get an older Marlin and go hunting. Problem there is,I keep hearing rumors of quality issues with the new Marlins, so I'm just a touch leery of that.

And frankly, other than their popularity with the Cowboy Action crowd, I know nothing about Rossis.

Anybody with first-hand experience on the NEW Marlins and the Rossis care to chime in?
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:00 am

I bought a stainless steel Rossi in .357 magnum early this year. It was an attractive, reasonably priced firearm - But.

The gun was hard to load, did not feed reliably, and as a result it required a good deal of work in order to get it to work properly.

Other Rossi owners may have had a different experience. - This is how it worked out in my case.

Once I had done an action job and modified several parts in order to get it to function as it should, it was fun to shoot and worked well.

I could have bought a 92 clone from Winchester with much better fit and finish, and had no problems at all - at over twice the price.

Your mileage may vary.

Have you looked at the Mossberg lever gun?