Range Report

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Range Report

Post by charlesb » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:04 am

Today I tried out some loads for my 243 with Hodgdon "Superformance" powder, and had some of my tried and true H4350 loads along too for comparison.

I was shooting my heavy barreled .243 Winchester Savage.

I was optimistic about the Superformance powder because it was a lot easier to measure, being fine granules or balls as opposed to the H4350 which looks like pieces of broken pencil lead. I weigh each load individually and use a powder trickler, and the Superformance powder is a lot easier to work with.

I tried to make both loads to the same velocity with the 70 grain Nosler ballistic tip bullets my rifle likes. - 3450 fps.

The two loads were very similar in performance but the H4350 still had an edge, shooting a bit tighter than the Superformance loads.

There was a 1/4" difference on the groups. The H4350 loads grouped around 3/4" and the Superformance loads went around 1" or so, all with five shot groups at 100 yards.

Lately I've been looking to buy a new rifle, and kind of neglecting my 243, so today I thought I'd better go out and have a little fun with it.

Have been looking at the Winchester 1885, the Sako 85, the Mauser model 12 and the Browning A-Bolt Stainless stalker with the BOSS barrel tuner.

The best cartridge (Mule Deer hunting ) that the 1885 has is 6.5x55... On any of the others, I would get a .270 Winchester.

My wife has a job where sometimes she gets off late at night... A few nights ago around ten o'clock I ended up following a mule deer buck down the next street over from mine. He got confused and just kept running down the street ahead of my van for 75 yards or so.

I slowed down for him and hung back a bit. Eventually he stepped off of the street into somebody's yard, so I stopped there and took a good look at him. He seemed smaller than the other mule deer I've seen here, but he had a nice rack.

During the winter, they come down out of the mountains at night and walk around town looking for forage around the neighborhoods.

Anyway, I had a good day at the range. A young fellow showed up with a new Browning BAR that had really nice wood, and I talked with his Dad while he went out to set up a few targets. Usually I have the place to myself, so I enjoy getting to chew the fat with another shooter, every once in a while.

It was about 70 degrees, and there was an intermittent 10-15 mph crosswind so I would have a good excuse about my groups not being up to par. A month or so ago I was shooting 1/2" groups, but today I guess I wasn't holding my mouth right.

Oh that's right, I forgot, it was the crosswind that got me. - It sure is good to have an excuse like that.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:04 am

It may be beneficial to run a grid and see if the new power has the same sweep spot as the H4350. Normally it's tied to the velocity but since the powders have a different burn rate it may not be the same. I have used the H4350 for years in my 7mm Mag. Some say the ball powders are not easy to ignite vs the tubular powder. What twist barrel does your Savage have?
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:40 pm

Savage .243 barrels have a 9.25" twist.

Savage recommended 70 grain Nosler ballistic tip bullets and sure enough, that's what I've had the best luck with.

I've tried 58 grain, 95 and 100 grain bullets so far, besides the 70 grain Noslers.

The Superformance loads did not call for a magnum primer.

The H4350 sometimes gets stuck in my powder dribbler and it cuts a stick in two with a grinding noise that always makes me wince. There's no real worry about it igniting but I get the heebie-geebies when I hear it anyway.

Later I intend to make a concerted effort at a heavy bullet load, something that will carry and buck the wind. Yesterday at the range, I would get a sight picture and wait until I felt the wind falling before I pulled the trigger.

Something new yesterday was the rifle shooting really bad for the first four or five rounds, and then either it or I started doing a lot better. Maybe I cleaned it too good, I dunno.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:28 pm

The extruded powders do not meter very well, never had. I always dump close then dribble up to what I want. I never like the sound of the crunching either. But since powder requires a heat source, it perfectly safe. If I want to load on a progressive I use a ball/fine grain powder or measure the powder off the press.

Sounds like the bore needed seasoning. By the conditions you described, you may not be far off to finding that magic sweet spot.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:42 pm

I haven't tried the superformance but I agree with blue. I would try a while range of charges with it to find the right one with that powder that bullet and thatt rifle that just puts them in that state of harmony that needs to be there .

With my 308 my rifle likes the 168 amax with 42.3 gr of h4295 or 42.7 gr of varget ...if I remember right. But does not like other powders at the same velocity, reloader 19 for example.... Go figure. It's like voodoo.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne