Early Christmas!

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:06 pm

The Varget and the AA2495 loads shot well, the loads that used 760 shot all over the place. I have heard good things about 760 and the 7mm-08 so I'm guessing it might do better with a different bullet or loading.

I got the best results with Varget.

The Savage thumb-hole stock has a rubber pad on the end, but I would not call it a recoil pad, as it does very little to soften recoil. The stock is heavy though, and that helps a bit.

What really surprised me was when I finished up with the Savage in 7mm-08 and fired a few magazines from my M1A in .308. - The M1A was a LOT more comfortable to shoot, a real cream-puff compared to the Savage bolt gun.

The plan now is to purchase a Hogue rubber-coated, pillar-bedded stock for the short Savage action. It will be a bit lighter to carry and yet still be more comfortable to shoot.

My best ten-shot group with the new 7mm-08 barrel is around three inches. It is improving but still has only had about forty rounds through it. The weather is warming up here, so I expect to get out more often to shoot.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:48 am

Gas guns are typically easier on the shoulder than bolt guns. I like Varget too. I get my most consistent loads out of it.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:32 am

Bullseye wrote:Gas guns are typically easier on the shoulder than bolt guns. I like Varget too. I get my most consistent loads out of it.

R,
Bullseye
gas guns spread the recoil force over a slightly longer time period and it lessens the felt recoil.
used to load my 12ga SKB with red dot and a ounce of shot, used green dot for the 20ga and the 28ga, so it was readily available. Ran out ot red dot and looked up a load for the 12 of green dot, worked great, less felt recoil and a target crusher. Burn rate is slightly lower and reduces felt recoil.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:07 pm

I wasn't being fair to the Varget loads when I talked about three inch groups... Looking at the target from that first outing, the Varget loads put ten rounds at 100yd into two inches.

The M1A Scout Squad has a thick, soft rubber recoil pad, weighs nine pounds and has a muzzle-brake. - It all adds up to soft shooting. The black plastic stock probably flexes a bit too.

I have a Hogue pillar-bedded, rubber-coated black plastic stock on a 98 Mauser in 30-06 that makes that gun comfortable to shoot. I'm thinking about getting one of those for the Savage to use with the 7mm-08 barrel. It would make it a bit lighter, and a bit easier on my shoulder with the recoil pad the Hogue stock has.

The laminated thumbhole stock is heavy, and it's pad is reminiscent of tire rubber, not very soft.