Range Rpt Savage 16 7mm-08

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:17 pm

I ordered a box of 100 Hornady 154 grain interlock softpoints today, flat-base spitzers.

The local hardware store has H414 in stock, I'll get a can of that as it shows the best velocity in the Hornady manual.

I recently discovered that the thinner sporter-contour barrel lets me use low instead of medium rings (I use stainless Leupold rings and bases on the Savage model 16) so now the scope is considerably lower.

It was amazing how much more comfortable the rifle was to shoot with the scope down about 3/8" lower. Looks a lot better too, I'll try to do a few photos soon.

Am planning to bring some paper with me on the next range trip, to see if a bit of pressure on the barrel at the end of the forearm will make a difference on how it groups with the 162 grain Sierras.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:28 pm

Still waiting for the 154 grain SP flat-base bullets, I decided to try some loads with the Sierra 160 BTHP's I have on hand with W 760 powder and magnum primers.

It did OK! - Click image to see it larger.

Since I had gone to lower scope mounts, I had to sight it in all over again, but only burned four rounds getting back in the vicinity of the bulles-eye.

I think it looks a lot better with the scope down closer to the barrel, it's more comfortable to shoot, too.

Here it is with the old medium height rings:

Here it is with the low rings, it was a squeeze but it made it.

Only bad thing was that I didn't get one of the foam ear-plugs in right, and the first shot really rang my bell, everything still sounds like I'm in a tin can, an hour later.

I think my foam plugs are getting old, I bought a big package of them and they do not rebound as well now as they used to. For the time-being, I'm tossing them and going over to re-usable silicone plugs. - I don't like ear-muffs, my head is already pretty fat, and with ear muffs they tend to get in the way when I'm crawling the stock.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:32 pm

Only bad thing was that I didn't get one of the foam ear-plugs in right, and the first shot really rang my bell, everything still sounds like I'm in a tin can, an hour later.
That's why you should always wear double protection, ears and plugs.

R,
Bullseye