270 WSM

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

270 WSM

Post by charlesb » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:05 pm

I got a chance to fire five rounds through my Winchester 1885 in .270 WSM today. - It's been raining here, quite a bit lately.

It was shooting high and to the left... By the time I got it dialed in at 50 yards, I only had two shots left to try to "group". Those two were touching each other in the center of the 50 yard bull, a hopeful sign.

Maybe tomorrow I can get it set up to shoot at 100 yards. If I remember correctly, I should try to have it shooting 2" high at 100 yards for a 300 yard point-blank-range, where the 130 grain bullet does not rise or fall more than three inches from the aim-point.

The 270 WSM round looks a lot like a .243 AI that had been inflated somehow, bigger all over.

Recoil was not a problem in the 9 pound model 1885. I can see where this would be a good cartridge for a short-action bolt gun with a 24" barrel. The 1885 has a 28" tapered octagonal barrel which keeps noise, blast and recoil to a minimum while delivering top velocity with this cartridge. - But it also makes the rifle pretty dern heavy to haul around!

I'll stick my neck out and guess that the Winchester 1885 is the most comfortable gun chambered in .270 WSM. - There's not a lot of recoil sensation.

This would be a great gun for use with shooting sticks, so I have been looking at those. The front-heaviness of this Winchester reminds me of some of my favorite muzzle-loaders. It comes up very steady for offhand shooting, but only for a few seconds so you have to sight and shoot as smoothly as possible. Shooting sticks could make a big difference there, bring some deliberation to the process.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:29 pm

Shooting five rounds at 100 yards, I got a two inch group. - I believe I'll shoot the rest of these 130 grain factory loads, and order some 140 grain bullets, see how that works out.

I guess I'd better order some dies too, come to think of it!

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:28 pm

I have decided to stick with 130 grain bullets for the time being, as they can be used for either full power or light 270 WSM loads.

After doing some research, I have chosen Hornady 130 grain Interlock spire-point bullets. The price is very good at Midway, and customer reviews are generally favorable.

One powder that I have chosen for these bullets is Ramshot "Magnum" powder for full power (hunting) loads. The maximum load listed for the 130 grain bullets with that powder is 76.1 grains for 3327 fps.

That's a couple of hundred fps velocity more than the 270 Winchester can offer, good for longer shots at larger game animals.

The other powder is more interesting. AA5744 is good for light loads in the WSM case. The lightest listed load I have found for the 130 grain bullets with this powder is 25 grains for 1940 fps, and the maximum load is 43.6 grains for 3107 fps.

All of the load data is for 24" barrels, and my barrel is 28".

The 6.8 spc pushes 130 grain bullets at 2500 fps, and the 270 Winchester is good for around 3100 fps, so I can make loads to directly emulate either of those cartridges with AA5744. - Or I can make plinking loads that barely push 2000 fps.

Accuracy with these powders and bullets is still unknown, I have the powders but the bullets and loading dies are currently in the hands of UPS, to be delivered next week.

Will update here when I can make a range report.

I'm mainly excited about the light loads. - I will develop an accurate, near maximum hunting load, but will only shoot that if I'm hunting... To preserve my barrel, shoulder, and pocket book, I'll be using the light loads for my day to day trips to the range to shoot for pleasure.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:13 pm

Here's five rounds of my 270 WSM reduced load at 50 yards, they shot into 1/2", center to center.

Hornady 130 grn SP, 27 grains AA5744 for 2048 fps. - A good 100 yard target and small game load.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:50 pm

good shooting charles... thats a good shooter you have there
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne