Am I the only guy that actually likes his 7.62x39?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Am I the only guy that actually likes his 7.62x39?

Post by jjfunk » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:36 pm

I cruise quite a few gun "boards", and have yet to find hardly anyone that wants to brag about their 7.62's! I have a Ruger MINI30 in matt stainless, which totally ROCKS. Using Wolf ammo it can easily print sub MOA groups and has plenty of takedown power, even out to 300 yds. Got a feral hog that was at least that far out, dropped it with one shot. I understand the love affair with the AR's and all, but I would be willing to put my baby up against one at any time, and have on occasion had the chance to do so. My uncle is an ex-Marine "sharpshooter" and I keep up with his bad boy AR's on most every shooting trip. So I guess that my question is, do people have a major stigma against this great caliber? Or is it just that .223 and .308 are so much easier to get into? I don't know, I just had to vent that out there. Sorry for the rant.
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:47 pm

I know that I don't have any stigma with that cartridge. Heck, I went Distinguished with it! I have a really nice couple of match grade M1 Garands chambered in that caliber, one hand-made by famed M1 gunsmith Don McCoy. Spent most of my military career shooting the 7.62s in M1s and M14s. Just had a fellow the other day offer me a match M1A at a reasonable price.

Most folks prefer the 5.56 cartridge and its tamer recoil. I remember when the AR couldn't hold a candle to the M14. But then, the Army complained to the DCM and got the service rifle rules changed to make the AR more competitive. If it wasn't for them changing the rules and allowing the free float tubes in the Service Rifles, the AR still would be scarce in competition. However, they did make the rules change and the rest of the story is everyone's using the AR now.

R,
Bullseye

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:51 pm

That's too bad, I think a lot of people are really missing out. As you stated, it is one heck of a round. As far as recoil, in my rifle it doesn't have much recoil in my opinion. I guess what I don't get is all the MINI fans out there that maybe just didn't check the catalog to realize that the 14 wasn't the only option.
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:00 am

There is a lot of folks who like the AKs and SKSs, they both are chambered in that round. Ammo's cheap for it.

I never had a real liking for the Mini-14. Used several in the mid 1980's, chambered .223 and the quality seemed a little poor. I will agree that many folks do like them and they do shoot fine for most people but my AOE was in competitive shooting and the Mini can't hold up there in that field. It's kind of like the M1 Carbine to me.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:40 pm

Never owned a Mini 30 but I have had a couple of Mini 14s. One was a stainless folder that I really wish I hadn't parted with. I liked my Mini's pretty well but if it's going to be a gun fight, I'll take my S&W MP 15A every time.

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:24 pm

I would agree about the 14's accuracy. That was the main reason that I gave the 30 a chance instead. It really is a great shooter, and I would recommend it highly. My dad has an SK, and the brother-in-law has an actual AK, and neither of them really seem to be able to get under a 1.5" circle at 100yds. The MINI30 that I picked up regularly puts out .75" groups at the same yardage. Long story short, I love mine, and would reccomend it to anyone looking for a quality Semi-Auto centerfire. (Plus at only $500 at the time for the stainless model, I couldn't help but jump on it.)