Howa 1500

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Howa 1500

Post by charlesb » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:57 am

An update on this rifle:

I decided that I did not like the 1:12" twist, and want the 1:9" twist that Howa currently offers instead. So, I removed the barreled action from the Boyds stock, removed the Rifle Basix trigger and re-installed the factory trigger, put it back in the factory Hogue rubber-coated stock, and put the factory-supplied Nikko-Sterling scope on it. - And promptly sold it.

So now I have the Boyds stock and the Rifle Basix trigger, waiting for a new Howa 1500 heavy-barreled action.

Legacy Sports offers a version of the HB barreled action with either 20" or a 24" barrel. In the 20" barrel, you can get it plain, fluted, or threaded. I intend to get the threaded version, and mount a combination barrel tuner/muzzle brake that I have taken an interest in.

One of these from Harrell's Precision: (The smallest one, I believe.)

I'll have to use a scope on hand temporarily, but plan to get something like this Swift 6-18x44 Mil-dot scope. ( I want to see my groups at 100 yards without having to fool with a spotting scope, so 18 or maybe 20 power would be good for that.)

Anyway that's the plan. For the time-being though, all I have is a stock and a trigger! :roll:

Update: I got the barreled action ordered this morning. - I always get excited when I know that I have a package coming!