Brought Low by Loose Scope Mounts

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Brought Low by Loose Scope Mounts

Post by charlesb » Mon May 09, 2016 7:13 am

I was bitten by the old problem of a loose scope ring. The rifle was not grouping well, and I kept thinking something was wrong with the bedding, the barrel, and the various hand-loads I tried... This went on for weeks, and I was thinking seriously about purchasing a new barrel for the rifle.

Then I suspected the scope, thinking that it was bad, and in the process of removing it and replace it with another scope I had on hand, I discovered that the front scope ring was loose!

I went ahead and replaced the rings and mounts, going from Weaver style to Leupold standard mounts. I used the new mounts to re-install the old scope.

At the shooting range the next morning, despite a stiff, gusty breeze, I saw that my groups had shrunk dramatically.

Doh!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Brought Low by Loose Scope Mounts

Post by blue68f100 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:47 am

Loose optics will drive you nuts, trying to get good groups.

I had a neighbor over a month ago shooting his Colt SP1 and stopped for lunch. Turned off his dot sight. We we started back in his groups had moved over 2". This old AR has 1 screw that hold the mount in place. The mount he had fit loosely into the slot and allowed it to move. We ended up shimming it, which took care of slop.

Glad you found it.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu May 12, 2016 7:01 pm

It is frustrating when a mount comes loose. The groups open up and typically that is the last thing checked as the cause. I'm glad that you found it and hopefully your problem was solved.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat May 14, 2016 6:52 pm

It is definitely doing better, but still has a way to go. I am getting out once or twice a week these days to shoot, always early in the morning before things start to heat up.