Saftey of shooting '03 Springfield

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cm6259

Saftey of shooting '03 Springfield

Post by cm6259 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:22 pm

I have a sporterized '03 Springfield with a serial number in the mid 400K range (Springfield Armory). I have read varying opinions as to the safety of this rifle due to possible bad heat treatment of the receiver. I have read everything from "It's somewhat less desirable" to "hang it on the wall and don't shoot it" regarding this model rifle with serial numbers below 800K. I read the '03 Springfield collectors book by Bruce Canfield. My best interpretation from reading this is that this would only be a problem under field conditions where the rifle is not properly cleaned. (???)

My rifle appears to be clean and sound, and locks up tight when a round is chambered.

The rifle shoots great, and I'd really like to know if it is safe to shoot. I'm still alive and uninjured, so obviously I have not had any problems so far.

Thanks,

-Chris

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:50 am

There is reason for concern with your low numbered Springfield. Here is a really good article on the problem. I suggest you read it and then decide on your own. http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/

Here is a table from the same article on rates of failure of Springfield rifles by manufacture date.

According to this data, only 33 Springfield manufactured rifles have had documented failures. There are some periods where there were no failures recorded - perhaps your rifle may have been produced during this time. The article suggests that some of the failures could be due to individual workers at Springfield during certain years. Most of the data for this paper comes from Gen. Hatcher's investigation report of the problem.

Failures were rare, all the documentation shows they occurred before 1929.

R,
Bullseye

cm6259

Post by cm6259 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:39 pm

From the tables on the linked page, my rifle was built in 1910, which appears to have been a 'good' year.

Thanks for the info,

-Chris