Springfield Armory M1A Loaded - worth the money?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Blindpig

Springfield Armory M1A Loaded - worth the money?

Post by Blindpig » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:52 pm

As I tend to do from time to time, I've got the hots for another rifle. This time the apple of my eye seems to be an M1A. I can get a Loaded model from my local gun guy for about $1,500. Will I really love it enough to pay the tariff or should I just try to get it out of my mind? Bullseye, you know all about these particular pieces, I believe.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:18 pm

M1A's are right up my alley. They're good target guns when match conditioned properly. These rifles ruled the highpower matches for 35 years until the AR's finally unseated them. But it took a waiver from the CMP and some serious engineering by the Marine and Army Marksmanship Teams to refine the AR for competition. Just in case anyone asks, until the CMP (then DCM) allowed the AR Service Rifle barrel to be free floated (an external modification not typically permitted under DCM/CMP service rifle standards), AR's couldn't hold a candle to the M1A. The prices of good M1A's have gone up and $1500 is right in the neighborhood depending on your location. There are some good match grades, with McMillan stocks, on the used market that go around $1800 - $2200. If you want one, go for it, you won't be disappointed.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:40 am

Thanks, Bullseye. I thought you'd be the one to ask about M1A's. I guess I'm going to have to start saving my pennies for one. I kind of get choked up when I think about plunking down $1,500 for a base rifle 'cause I know it won't stop there but I guess I'll do it eventually.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:23 am

A few months ago, I could have hooked you up with a fully match conditioned M1A with an Obermeyer match grade heavy barrel for $1800 but someone already snapped that one up.

R,
Bullseye

madcratebuilder

Re: Springfield Armory M1A Loaded - worth the money?

Post by madcratebuilder » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:50 am

Blindpig wrote:As I tend to do from time to time, I've got the hots for another rifle. This time the apple of my eye seems to be an M1A. I can get a Loaded model from my local gun guy for about $1,500. Will I really love it enough to pay the tariff or should I just try to get it out of my mind? Bullseye, you know all about these particular pieces, I believe.
That sounds like the going price for a "loaded" Do you know how many GI parts are on it? The older SAI's had quit a few. I paid 1500 for a 'standard' w/5 mags, but it was a 1981 build, that was pretty much unfired. I got a GI trigger and op-rod, and a Douglass 6 groove NM barrel, the rest is commercial SAI. I unitized the gas block and reamed the flash suppressor, did a 3.5 lb trigger and I'm getting close to moa out of it. I want to add good glass and bed the stock, I think that well get me sub moa. If you like your AR, your going to love your M1A. Check out m14firinglineforum.com.