RIFLE SLING

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

RIFLE SLING

Post by jaeger45 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:05 am

RIFLE SLING

I have a friend who just bought a Mossberg ATR in .30-06.

I'm just familiar with the leather and web military slings, but not with commercial ones.

Any recommendation for a good sling- not only for carrying but specially for shooting? Thanks...

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:57 pm

I don't have any photos avail.
but I have two slings from the black 1"wide nylon-strapping
that I got from the ACE/TrueValue HDW store "by the foot",
with their plastic-buckle... they both work just fine and
I can adjust/change the length to suite ...
-- toy

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:10 pm

you can't get a better sling than a leather 1907 military sling.

here is an article on how to use it. Once you learn how it makes shooting sitting and prone a lot easier.

http://carnival.saysuncle.com/001086.html
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

langenc

Post by langenc » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:27 pm

For shooting or carrying-Garand sling-(cotton).

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:00 am

Langenc,

Are you asking how to use the cotton web sling? A few paragraphs down on that Shooter's Carnival website is one on how to use the web sling:
To use the G.I. web sling as a shooting aid, start by unlatching the clasp to put a little slack in the sling & latch it again. Unhook the hook from the bottom sling swivel. Push the bottom end of the sling through the slider to form a slip loop big enough to fit on your left bicep. Next give the slip loop a ¾ turn to the right so that the hook will be on the outside of your arm. Insert your arm through the slip loop & tighten it. Now place your left hand on the rifle as you would with a leather sling, partially wrapping the sling around your hand & forearm while the sling rests flat against the back of your hand. Be sure to pull the clasp down so it won’t dig into your hand when you fire. Place the rifle against your shoulder as you would fire it. Now take the feed end of the sling & loosen the clasp. Pull the feed end towards you to tighten the sling or let it pull away from you to loosen the sling. When you have the sling properly adjusted tighten the clasp.
I use the leather web sling on my service rifles for consistency of sling placement. The positioning of the cotton web sling is less consistent, even though it gives a more secure feeling when it is fully cinched up around the upper arm.

Another thing that I do differently from the photos of the military leather sling, is I keep the lower short strap disconnected from the rifle when slung in. I remove the lower strap from the rear sling mount and then loop the lower hook back onto the lower strap, to form a small loop, and keep the hook from snagging on my jacket or equipment while in position.

R,
Bullseye

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:59 am

Now you done it!

Opening recumbent's link and enlarging that blown-up picture of the M1 gave me a chance to talk about MY M1. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It looks so much like mine: metal parts still parkerized OD, wood parts all dings and dents. Hehehe....

And that trigger guard gave me a trip down memory lane- with Bullseye as hero a decade ago. He helped me change the older trigger guard with the newer one as shown in the picture. Why, he walked me through the seemingly simple yet very tricky procedure by email!!!

Now, I know somewhat how those guys on the moon felt when they signalled earth: "HOUSTON, I'M IN TROUBLE..."

After these so many years, THANKS AGAIN, BULLSEYE. THANKS, HOUSTON!!! :D :D :D
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:37 pm

I remember those days, seems like a long time ago in a land far, far, away. 8)

R,
Bullseye