22/45 Slingshot Mod

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

johnnywitt
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

22/45 Slingshot Mod

Post by johnnywitt » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:18 pm

So, to do the slingshot mod on my new MKII 22/45 all I need to do is clean the preservative oil off of the relavent parts and then just take out the detent ball and the associated little spring? Then, make sure the bolt latch will gravity drop. Is this correct? I'm pretty used to slingshoting the bolts/slides on my RF pistols, so I need to do this mod so I can get to enjoying my new pistol.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:20 pm

Yes, that's all there is to it. http://guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm#ssmod

R,
Bullseye

johnnywitt
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by johnnywitt » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:20 pm

OK, thanks Bullseye. I didn't know it was under the 22/45 stripping info.
I wonder why Ruger puts a detent and spring in the 22/45 and they don't with the MK II/III metal frame guns bolt release.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:12 am

The metal framed Ruger's have a spring and plunger to force the bolt release downward. The 22/45's do not have this feature and thus were designed with the detent ball to prevent the lever from moving freely on its own. There could be some situations where having the bolt release free ranging may pose a problem but not target shooting.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:37 am

Bullseye wrote:The metal framed Ruger's have a spring and plunger to force the bolt release downward. The 22/45's do not have this feature and thus were designed with the detent ball to prevent the lever from moving freely on its own. There could be some situations where having the bolt release free ranging may pose a problem but not target shooting.

R,
Bullseye
One of the added features I discovered when i first tried this is several years ago is that if you want to lock the slide open, just hold the gun butt up and pull the bolt back. I just wanted to be able to slingshot the bolt like the slid on a 1911.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

johnnywitt
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by johnnywitt » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:08 pm

Well, I got the 22/45 set up with the Pac Lite upper to carry on the trail, or when I'm fishing. I could potentially have to use this pistol to defend myself/family from two legged vermin. I guess I better not mess with the slingshot mod. I don't need the bolt locking back inadvendently. I guess when I shoot I'll just have to pull the bolt back and drop the bolt, or just let the parts wear out and replace them. The parts that wear out by dropping the bolt with the release button, are they a restricted part, or are they just a part that you can order from Prescott. I am new to the 22/45 other than just dropping on the Pac Lite. I'm about to go install my VQ Sear and Trigger. Along with the VQ Extractor that I just got in from Rimfire Sports. Thanks for all the help Fellas.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:59 pm

The bolt stop is not a restricted part. One can usually dress up the edge back to 90 degrees with a file if the latch becomes worn.

I have done some thorough testing with the 22/45 slingshot mod and unless you plan on shooting upside down, the chances of inadvertent latching is extremely small.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:04 pm

johnnywitt wrote:Well, I got the 22/45 set up with the Pac Lite upper to carry on the trail, or when I'm fishing. I could potentially have to use this pistol to defend myself/family from two legged vermin. I guess I better not mess with the slingshot mod. I don't need the bolt locking back inadvendently. I guess when I shoot I'll just have to pull the bolt back and drop the bolt, or just let the parts wear out and replace them. The parts that wear out by dropping the bolt with the release button, are they a restricted part, or are they just a part that you can order from Prescott. I am new to the 22/45 other than just dropping on the Pac Lite. I'm about to go install my VQ Sear and Trigger. Along with the VQ Extractor that I just got in from Rimfire Sports. Thanks for all the help Fellas.
I have 3- 22/45's with that mod that I did about 4or 5 years ago and have shot them many times and have never had the bolt lock back any time but when mag is empty. Do not really think that his is a problem to worry about.
As far as self defense a .22LR is better than nothing but in my opinion, not very much. Yes a well placed aimed shot from a .22LR will do the job, but under slef defense conditions you will not have time for a well aimed shot as it is more of a point and shoot situation. I recommend .380 ACP as a minimum, 9mm is better. Myself, I prefer .45ACP with a .380ACP s a backup, jusat my opinion, other opinions may and most likely will vary.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:39 pm

I meant to do that when I had mine apart and neglected to do so. I just pull the bolt back and press down on the bolt stop lever before I let go. Works fine, but I'll get around to doing this someday.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:51 am

greener wrote:I meant to do that when I had mine apart and neglected to do so. I just pull the bolt back and press down on the bolt stop lever before I let go. Works fine, but I'll get around to doing this someday.
That's an easy one to do, I got thinking about that 5 years ago and ran it past Bullseye and he said to give it a try and it works great. Just take the lever and break the sharp corners and make sure it is straight so it will move easily. Now that you have a 10/22 there is another handy mod that I picked up of off RFC, the bolt hold open lever on the 10/22. Alter it by taking that little point out of the heart shaped hole and after you push the lever to lock the bolt t back, all you have to do to close the bolt is to just pull it back and let it go..
Do you miss the landfill??

johnnywitt
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by johnnywitt » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:10 pm

Yeah, .22's a poor choice for self defense, for sure. The purpose of this pistol was as a "kit gun". It doesn't weigh much and I live in the mountains where I hike a lot and fish sometimes. The self defense part is a back up role- but it's there. I shoot probably 2000-2500 rounds a month through RF pistols and if I had to shoot for self defense, it would be strictly headshots with 40gr solids. That sounds pretty mean, but thats how it would be. Thanks for all the advice. I guess I might just do that SS Mod after all because generally, I try to stay right side up while firing.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:45 pm

johnnywitt wrote:Yeah, .22's a poor choice for self defense, for sure. The purpose of this pistol was as a "kit gun". It doesn't weigh much and I live in the mountains where I hike a lot and fish sometimes. The self defense part is a back up role- but it's there. I shoot probably 2000-2500 rounds a month through RF pistols and if I had to shoot for self defense, it would be strictly headshots with 40gr solids. That sounds pretty mean, but thats how it would be. Thanks for all the advice. I guess I might just do that SS Mod after all because generally, I try to stay right side up while firing.
Only problem is that under a stressful condition even though you are and expert marksman you really under those condition at a distance of under 25 feet to make a well aimed shot at a small target. The best and easiest shot is COM as it is the largest target. in some states you are allowed to shoot in self defense you are allowed to shoot to stop the threat, if you shoot for the head you meant to kill, if you shoot in the leg maybe you just meant to maim. To COM will stop the threat and if the BG dies, tough luck and the threat is stopped. Don't know about the laws in your stste.

johnnywitt
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by johnnywitt » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:17 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
johnnywitt wrote:Yeah, .22's a poor choice for self defense, for sure. The purpose of this pistol was as a "kit gun". It doesn't weigh much and I live in the mountains where I hike a lot and fish sometimes. The self defense part is a back up role- but it's there. I shoot probably 2000-2500 rounds a month through RF pistols and if I had to shoot for self defense, it would be strictly headshots with 40gr solids. That sounds pretty mean, but thats how it would be. Thanks for all the advice. I guess I might just do that SS Mod after all because generally, I try to stay right side up while firing.
Only problem is that under a stressful condition even though you are and expert marksman you really under those condition at a distance of under 25 feet to make a well aimed shot at a small target. The best and easiest shot is COM as it is the largest target. in some states you are allowed to shoot in self defense you are allowed to shoot to stop the threat, if you shoot for the head you meant to kill, if you shoot in the leg maybe you just meant to maim. To COM will stop the threat and if the BG dies, tough luck and the threat is stopped. Don't know about the laws in your stste.
Probably about the biggest threat I'll stop is a snake. Allready had one of those experiences. Snake somehow got between me and my Lab on a steep trail. Dog almost got bit. :shock:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:24 pm

You know, I would rather face a bear with a big stick than a snake of any kind with any weapon.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:25 pm

bearandoldman wrote:You know, I would rather face a bear with a big stick than a snake of any kind with any weapon.
Never paid much attention to snakes. Most I've seen would rather be where you aren't if you leave them alone. Used to fish in a pond that had a number of cottonmouths. At one area, if the snake was on a log sunning himself, the fish would bite. If you didn't see the snake, fish somewhere else. Never thought about shooting it.

Cottonmouths will come to a light. Many years ago my Dad and I were harvesting bull frogs at night. I heard 4 rapid fire shots from his .22 bolt action and a passel of cussing. When I got there he was kicking one as it struck while trying to clear the jam in his rifle. I did shoot that one. We didn't gig frogs, we used .22 hp's. Much easier to take care of snakes.