Can't see front sight

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

chefmossy

Can't see front sight

Post by chefmossy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:32 am

Eyes getting older can't see front sight on my SA Loaded what should I replace stock front sight with.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:00 am

Have we talked with the optometrist yet about some corrective lenses that will allow for better focusing at a distance of about one meter? This isn't a front sight issue as much as an aging eyes one. You can even go to the local medication store and try on some of the generic reading glasses until you find the diopter value that will allow for the extra focusing at that distance. The trade off is your distant vision will be a little fuzzier, but that's the way the target is supposed to be when aiming.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:09 am

Welcome to the aging eyes club. I have learned to shoot with my normal glasses. But what I have found is that sight combo's with narrow gaps I do not see at all. I do better with the large white dots or fiber optic front sights.

On my MKIII I went with a Dot sight and these are great for aging eyes. You only use your far vision with dot sights. But this is just a play gun for me. I had some friends shoot it this last month and fell in love with the dot. They too had the aging eyes going on. They ended up adding one to their MKIII and Buckmark. And they had to get the polymer ball I had too. They concluded shooting at a ball swing was a lot more fun than paper. And the dot shines when you want quick target acquisition.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:44 am

I have no-line trifocals, but still get by with the stock, unaltered sights on my guns. That may explain my groups being a lot bigger than they used to be............ :shock:

I have a white outline rear on the Mark III, which helps a little. The worst is the brass bead front on the 10/22.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

chefmossy

Post by chefmossy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:19 pm

was thinking about a fiber optic front sight anyone tried that

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:49 pm

Before I retired, it was mandatory to wear safety glasses with side shields. Working behind electrical panels was sometimes difficult when I had to see the top of the panel, say 2-4ft away. After bending my head backwards to look at the top of the panel thru the bifocal portion of my glasses, I finally got wise to a set of "double D" bifocals. I had my prescripts made with the bottom bifocal for reading distance, and the top bifocal to focus at about 3-4 ft. To make a long story short, these DD bifocals work perfectly for hg shooting, viewing the 'perfectly clear' front sight with the top bifocal. Like B.E. said, seeing the target a little fuzzy is not a big deal. The DD's were responsible for improving my accuracy the most, over anything else.
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:41 am

I have a Dawson precision fiberoptic front sight on my mkii Target, thee fiberoptic really stands out and the post is nicely squared off at the top like a traditional Target sight. The fiberoptic pulls your focus to the front post nicely.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:20 am

The MKIII Hunters comes std with the FO front sight. I have one on mine, came with 3 sizes and 2 colors. Now they only come in 1 size. I found I like the red over the green. But since I went to a Dot sight (Mueler Quick Shot) I very seldom use it.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

I have the Hunter with the Hi-Viz front sight and another with the DP front sight. I think I prefer the smaller DP sight with the standard rear blade and may make the change. However, I'm getting to the point that the dot sights are much easier to see.