GSG 1911 problems

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Chopperdoc

GSG 1911 problems

Post by Chopperdoc » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:41 pm

I have a GSG 1911 22LR pistol. I stripped it done to the bare frame to give it a good scrubbing to get the dirty factory grease cleaned out. After reassembly, the hammer follows the trigger down after the first shot in a magazine It does this with or without a mag inserted. It is essentially a single shot pistol now. It was new when I bought it, there is under 1000 rounds thru it and never had any problems of this sort prior to this.

Reading several forums, I see that it could be one of two things. Since I did not touch the sear, hammer, or trigger with anything more abrasive than a green army toothbrush and Hoppes # 9, I can rule out them being out of spec.

The sear spring looked like a cheap piece of tin; I “borrowed” the newly installed colt spring sear from my Springfield 1911 to see if it was the culprit. No change; the hammer still followed the trigger down. As this spring was tuned to my Springer, I did not try to make it work in my GSG.

I am about to order a new spring to see if I can tweak it to work. I am most puzzled since the gun ran fine before I took it apart for cleaning.

Can you offer any suggestions?

Thanks

Vic

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:41 pm

Why not just tweek the original spring. I would increase the spring pressure on the sear, center leaf if my memory is good.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:30 am

I know my way around a real 1911 somewhat, but how different is a GSG 22?

The best chance for an expert is probably rimfirecentral - try there, but be ready to provide details and/or pictures.

Chopperdoc

Re: GSG 1911 problems

Post by Chopperdoc » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:18 pm

Chopperdoc wrote:I have a GSG 1911 22LR pistol. I stripped it done to the bare frame to give it a good scrubbing to get the dirty factory grease cleaned out. After reassembly, the hammer follows the trigger down after the first shot in a magazine It does this with or without a mag inserted. It is essentially a single shot pistol now. It was new when I bought it, there is under 1000 rounds thru it and never had any problems of this sort prior to this.

Reading several forums, I see that it could be one of two things. Since I did not touch the sear, hammer, or trigger with anything more abrasive than a green army toothbrush and Hoppes # 9, I can rule out them being out of spec.

The sear spring looked like a cheap piece of tin; I “borrowed” the newly installed colt spring sear from my Springfield 1911 to see if it was the culprit. No change; the hammer still followed the trigger down. As this spring was tuned to my Springer, I did not try to make it work in my GSG.

I am about to order a new spring to see if I can tweak it to work. I am most puzzled since the gun ran fine before I took it apart for cleaning.

Can you offer any suggestions?

Thanks

Vic
I orderd a few new sear springs from Brownells. I'll let you all know if that helps at all.

thanks

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:49 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Why not just tweek the original spring. I would increase the spring pressure on the sear, center leaf if my memory is good.
In a 1911, IIRC, that's the adjustment. Also, if I remember the problem, the hammer went to half cock before the adjustment. I believe I'd do some spring tweaking first.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:21 pm

Here is the spring tensions for a standard 1911 leaf spring.

R,
Bullseye